Self Portrait - Rembrandt Lighting w/ PP Filter

DGMPhotography

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all!

So all my lighting stuff came in and I've done a bit of practicing and finally have a picture I'm somewhat satisfied with! I believe this is close to Rembrandt lighting (based on the light triangle on my cheek), and I thought the PP color alteration worked well for this picture. I have the original posted here as well.

1. Final product

$pic-3.JPG

2. Original color

$pic.jpg

C&C appreciated! Thanks!! :D

Looks like you could get a date with a profile shot like that!!!

Looks like you could get a date with a profile shot like that!!!

Haha... Funny story, I was just hanging out with that same girl I posted about before when you commented. She liked the picture.

Nice; maybe a trifle hot on the key though.

Nothing's really blown out though is it? Did I get Rembrandt right?

And what about the cropping on my arms? I was going for a slim look and realized I have a very large chest cavity -__-

I was going for a slim look and realized I have a very large chest cavity -__-

then don't wear a large double-breasted jacket.

And what about the cropping on my arms?

That doesn't bother me as much as the cropping of your head. You look like a mime that's trapped in a box to be honest with such a tight crop.

I think these are GREAT. Love the first one, particularly. Also ROCKIN' the double breasted jacket. I'm so pissed those are out of style again.

Did I get Rembrandt right?
I'd say you almost got it. I think that your light was a little too far to the side. With Rembrandt, we look for the 'key triangle' on the opposite side of the face. You want it to be high enough to get into the far eye and give a good catch light. I can see a catch light from the main light in your left eye (our right side) but I don't see it in the other eye, which tells me that your light wasn't far enough in front of you. It's really close though. You could have turned your head, just a little more toward the light, and it probably would have been perfect. That's easy to see and do when you're shooting someone else...but very hard when shooting a self portrait. Maybe you should ask that girl to help out. :eyebrows:

I think these are GREAT. Love the first one, particularly. Also ROCKIN' the double breasted jacket. I'm so pissed those are out of style again.
That just means you can pick 'em up cheap at the Salvation Army store!

Nice; maybe a trifle hot on the key though.

Nothing's really blown out though is it? Did I get Rembrandt right?

And what about the cropping on my arms? I was going for a slim look and realized I have a very large chest cavity -__-
No, nothing seems blown, but if you look at the specular highlights on the backs of your hands and key side of your face, there's a lack of detail. I would shoot this about 1/3 - 1/2 stop below where it is now. I think Mike's comment on the lighting pattern is spot on, and as for the suit/style/etc; I like the look, but I think you've pulled the suit out too far with your hands.

Since your pose shows your hands prominently, (and it's not bad, mind you) you should be wearing a Rolex on one wrist, and a huge honking ring on the other hand. Borrow them if you have to. Extra points if the ring is a Super Bowl ring.

Since your pose shows your hands prominently, (and it's not bad, mind you) you should be wearing a Rolex on one wrist, and a huge honking ring on the other hand. Borrow them if you have to. Extra points if the ring is a Super Bowl ring.

Actually, yeah. A wristwatch would look great here.

Most reactions

Back