Self portrait. Trying something new.

Desi

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Found myself at the beach after dark with flash and tripod. I was hoping for a sunset but heavy clouds overhead. Figured I'd play and try something new.

I'd never done this before, so I thought I'd share. I wish I had brought a wider lens.

1. Portrait of a self portrait

DSC_0625.jpg by Javier Descalzi, on Flickr

DSC_0629.jpg by Javier Descalzi, on Flickr

Thanks Frequency. It was fun. I'll have to try this again.

I like the idea behind the second one more, but the execution of the lighting is a bit amiss. Still, both are kind of fun!

I like the idea of 2, it deserves a reshoot. I would try to get a better alignment. Maybe draw a line in the sand along an axis so you can get a consistent spacing. I'm not positive, but I think if each step away from the camera was twice as much as the step before it, you would have a much more consistent space between yourselves. Maybe also shoot with a smaller aperature to get more in focus.

I really like it but i' m new to photo so is this like long exposure ????

Thanks Derrel and PlanetStarbucks. Yep, I've got to go out and reshoot that. I had the 70-200 out and it was not going to give a good depth of field for the second shot the way I had it set up. I'll try again with a wider lens and see if I can get the geometry of the shot better. I was just playing, but now I'll have to put some thought into the shot.

LizbethR...thanks. These are 30 second exposures. The first shot I walked around and posed and had my sister trigger the flash at each position I posed. For the second, I held the flash in my hand and triggered it every few feet as I walked away from the camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back