Self-portrait with photographs

tb2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Not he most revealing self-portrait! I noticed the reflection, in a mirror, of some recent shots that I'd framed, so took this self-portrait that includes them.

Tony

For more info go to: http://photoquoto.blogspot.com

Self-portrait.jpg

I would actually like the picture better if the pictures weren't in the background because they distract from you, the subject. And the picture seems a little tilted, perhaps you could do some alignment correction to that. I definitely like that its monochrome though, I think that really adds to the picture rather than detract. Hmm, I'm not sure how you feel about PhotoShop or if you have it or anything, but I would definitely be interested to see how the picture looks without the pictures in the background.

A mirror self with the writing on the camera all right?
Hey, you switched this one, Tony, didn't you ;).

And I really like how you, the photographer, photographed yourself with some of your photos in the background. What with your face all hidden by the camera, there is not so much about you as the main subject (in this photo, I mean, only in this photo!!!!!), whereas the inclusion of your framed pics in the background was the basic idea of taking this photo. Hence they must never go! They are major part of this composition.

Thanks for the comments Trenton & Corinna. They say that hands are almost as expressive as a face, so when you've reached the age (as I have) where you feel you've begun the slow decline into decrepitude :wink:, to represent yourself without showing your face has its attractions!

Seriously, you're right Corinna, the shot is built around the photographs (my photographs, taken with this camera and these hands). They also add compositional balance to the shot, and, being out of focus give depth and added emphasis to the sharp figure. Yes, I flipped the image to present the writing the right way round! I've shot Olympus since I got an OM1 in the early 1970s, so, as part of that select and discerning minority :wink:, I thought I'd make it clear!

Regards, Tony

Not very revealing, yet still it is revealing.
Very nice and personal shot.

Dani

Thanks Dani. On my blog where I post these shots I put a quote that is very true, and seemed to go with the image :"Everything we see hides another thing. We always want to see what is hidden by what we see."
Renee Magritte (1898-1967), Belgian painter, commenting on his own self-portrait.

Regards, Tony

Most reactions

Back