Self Portrait

fokker

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just thought I'd share this one I took last night testing out my homemade grid for a speedlite. This is a single speedlite with the homemade drinking-straw grid pointing straight at my face.

I'm getting excited about the chairlifts opening in a month for the downhill biking season....

7299174684_be3b72661e_b.jpg

Nice shot, Fokker. Very sharp, and well lit. I also like that you can literally see your cornea contrast between your skin. It leads to an intense look, which can easily be taken as representative of downhill biking. I think that aspect works really well.

Is the faded out area at the top of the frame part of the visor? It might be cool to clone or burn it out for a 'cleaner' appearance. Other than that, I got nuffin'. Nice work, bud!

PS. Care to share the deets on the homemade speedlight grid?

Yeah, the top part is the helmet visor. I tried burning it or cropping it out but it felt incomplete without it there (maybe just because I'm used to how the helmet should look).

I also liked this photo because of the intense look in my eye, I can imagine that is how I look at the top of run before I let the brakes go...

I used the drinking straw method which I'd seen online before. I just jacked a whole bunch of straws from a McDonalds and cut them and taped them to the front of my speedlite. It's meant to look like this:

2493010256_05b18bb833.jpg

But it actually looks more like this one (not actually mine but you get the idea):

DSC_0154.jpg

Love the DIY! Great photo, thanks for sharing!

I use a Mac'N'Cheese box as a snoot, could easily use a small box to frame the straws, clever!

Most reactions

Back