Self-Portrait

alirwez061

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I normally take Portraits of people and I really like my own work,
but does anybody know how can I take a self-portrait from myself??
I really like my work and don't want someone else to take a photo of me.
(LOL don't call me selfish plz)

Any ideas how can I get a portrait of myself using my own skills and my own taste?

Tripod, timer or remote shutter release.

Pleasure and welcome.

Set up a stool / chair to sit on place something like a stuffed toy on there at about your height
Pre frame image pre focus on manual or tether to lap top pc so you can see what’s happening
Otherwise framing and focus can be hit and miss
I learnt this the hard way lol

re
Set up a stool / chair to sit on place something like a stuffed toy on there at about your height
Pre frame image pre focus on manual or tether to lap top pc so you can see what’s happening
Otherwise framing and focus can be hit and miss
I learnt this the hard way lol
definetly a very helpful way LOL

As mentioned, tripod, and use the 10 second delay or a remote shutter.

For focus there are two ways to do it (or combination of the two). Have someone stand in for you to get focus, being careful to mark that spot, set the focus and then switch out with them. The second is to set framing up and have someone press the focus button for you to get focus and then switch to manual focus on the lens. Once they have done that for you, you can take photos to your liking.

Note: I would use a higher than normal f-stop when doing this because DOF is going to be an issue. I would also suggest shooting just a little be wider than you normally would and the crop in post. This gives you a little bit of room for error on both DOF and Framing.

Either way, I would also suggest taking more frames than you normally would because it is tricky to get everything just right in 1 or 2 takes doing this.

Good luck.

I do lots of self portraits and the best way to do is is with an interval timer. You will set up focus and tripod as mentioned above, but the interval timer will take X amount of shots so you can repose, or "act natural" etc. I use the interval timer for family self portraits as well, and it really gives you time to relax in front of the camera rather than acting "frozen".

I do lots of self portraits and the best way to do is is with an interval timer. You will set up focus and tripod as mentioned above, but the interval timer will take X amount of shots so you can repose, or "act natural" etc. I use the interval timer for family self portraits as well, and it really gives you time to relax in front of the camera rather than acting "frozen".

Great idea Paige. I'll be putting that on my list of things to try during my next testing session.

Thanks.

My post is based on the fact that I am on my own here
Think the takeaway points here is to
Focus the switch to manual
Use self time or remote trigger
And of course with digital you can do as many takes as needed

I have a Nikon D700 and used the time lapse feature to do multiple images at a time. I set up the time lapse for five images say ten seconds apart, get into position and take several of the same pose in hope of getting really good keeper. Set up again and repeat with a different pose. Just know you will always take a throw away shot as the first image will not have you in it yet.

Any ideas how can I get a portrait of myself using my own skills and my own taste?

"Tripod, timer or remote shutter release".
061, first, welcome!
Second, as to the above the tripod is a given. BUT, I would avoid the self-timer and go with a remote, especially if you're trying to get creative and use a shallow DoF.
The reason being, at least on some of the cameras I have used(Canon) and probably others as well. Using the self timer the camera will focus when you press the shutter but you're not there and especially with shallow DoF, the pre-focus on shallow DoF will be very difficult to get dead on using a pre-determined target.
IF you use the remote trigger the camera will focus when you press the remote trigger and you are there for the camera to focus on you, not a pre-focused distance or target and the likelihood of getting a sharp focus on you is much easier!
Might be easier to set everthing up as you like and just have someone else push the shutter release!! Good luck and lets see that naughty pic!!! LoL.
SS

061, first, welcome!
Second, as to the above the tripod is a given. BUT, I would avoid the self-timer and go with a remote, especially if you're trying to get creative and use a shallow DoF.
The reason being, at least on some of the cameras I have used(Canon) and probably others as well. Using the self timer the camera will focus when you press the shutter but you're not there and especially with shallow DoF, the pre-focus on shallow DoF will be very difficult to get dead on using a pre-determined target.
IF you use the remote trigger the camera will focus when you press the remote trigger and you are there for the camera to focus on you, not a pre-focused distance or target and the likelihood of getting a sharp focus on you is much easier!
Might be easier to set everthing up as you like and just have someone else push the shutter release!! Good luck and lets see that naughty pic!!! LoL.
SS

It's better to set the focus to a spot and then turn the focus to manual and that will solve this issue and then you can use self timer or remote with no issues.

Trying to do selfies at really wide appertures is really not a good idea because of the shallow DoF. Use something like 5.6 or 8.0.

061, first, welcome!
SS

It's better to set the focus to a spot and then turn the focus to manual and that will solve this issue and then you can use self timer or remote with no issues.

Trying to do selfies at really wide appertures is really not a good idea because of the shallow DoF. Use something like 5.6 or 8.0.
It's super tricky! But I have done them pretty wide, if not wide open! I'll have to check my files...when we have power [emoji26]

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Most reactions

New Topics

Back