Self Portrait

mannella

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Took this a couple of weeks ago when I was bored. All comments are appreciated --lenny
Lenny.jpg

I am still way amature, but I think its a little dark. And the hat brim shadow caught my attention first. Maybe a reflector could eleminate that?

ya way to dark. I would bring up the levels in some photo editing software you have. I would also play a bit with the contrast. Nice idea though

Funny it doesn't look dark on my monitor. I'm using an LCD I wonder if its making a difference. I think I will print it out and see if shows dark. Thanks for the look and comments.--Lenny

This feels like the only light source was an on-camera flash?
So brightness fades pretty fast towards the background which here - for a change - I even quite like a bit. This gives the feeling of a generally dark photo, though brightness in your face alone is ok.

What surprises me is the fast loss of light on the left (your right side of face) - I can't quite explain to myself how the light can disappear so very fast right behind your eye towards your ear :scratch: !??

Generally I would say: no on-camera flash for portrait photography, ever.
With this photo I am not so sure, for there is no sharp shadow on the wall behind you, however it shows right below the rim of your hat. Which is not nice.

And I see light spots on the tip of your nose, in the crevice next to it, on your chin and on your teeth, all from that singular, fairly narrow and focused, bright light source.

But I do like your engaging look and hint of smile for the camera.
It is not easy to photograph oneself, I find, and you did well in capturing yourself! You should show this in the SelfPortrait section in the Off Topics, too (and just skip the "ArtsyFartsy"-bit in its title!).

thanks for the comments LaFoto. Actually no flash was used. The light was coming from a large picture window directly in front of me and from the window of a door to my right. The shadow was introduced by me in photoshop. The shadow caused by the hat was natural, and I supposed if I had used a fill flash I could have gotten rid of it, but it didn't bother me until it was pointed out and I'm still undecided about it. What bothers me is to most people the photo looks dark and Im beginning to think its the difference between a CRT monitor and an LCD. The LCD monitor is a lot brighter and its something I'm going to have to address some how.--Lenny

Well, I am seeing it on an LCD monitor, and yes, my monitor is very bright, too (and I am happy about it), so I don't really find this one too dark.
Interesting light, now that you are describing it. Very!

No need to calibrate mine. It is a dark photo. No doubt. Any other parts but the face are dark, but not "gone" in darkness. I see the rim of the hat over his neck plus the shadow of that hat on the wall behind him. And I can tell that the wall is a kind of red. But yes, all those parts are dark.

your monitor is brighter than mine because on mine the wall is black and that was intended but what you describe is correct. The wall is a terra cotta colour and there is a shadow on the wall.--Lenny

ADelicateImage, welcome to THePhotoForum.

We say that unless a poster clearly says that he's ok with others to edit his photos, we don't go about editing photos and post them without having made sure in PM contact beforehand that the original poster is happy with it. And Lenny aka manella does not say anything. Neither whether it is OK for him or whether it is not. So we first assume it is not OK for him to see his work being edited by others. Therefore I changed your pic into a mere link. OK? No biggie, you're new, so we are here to help. :D

ADelicateImage, welcome to THePhotoForum.

We say that unless a poster clearly says that he's ok with others to edit his photos, we don't go about editing photos and post them without having made sure in PM contact beforehand that the original poster is happy with it. And Lenny aka manella does not say anything. Neither whether it is OK for him or whether it is not. So we first assume it is not OK for him to see his work being edited by others. Therefore I changed your pic into a mere link. OK? No biggie, you're new, so we are here to help. :D
Sorry, I Did Not See "Its Not Ok To Edit". :grumpy:

I appreciate you trying to make me less aged but at 60 I would rather look the way I look. I find your edit a little too smooth in the skin area but nice try.--Lenny

Most reactions

New Topics

Back