Self Portraits C&C Appreciated

Eva D

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello All! I need some advice on my pictures! I decided to do self portraits last week and ended up with pictures that I think were good. I know I have a lot of improvement, however, what can I do that would make my photography improve even more? I have a Canon T2i and all the pictures were with a 50 mm 1.8 lens. Thank you in advance for taking the time to look at my pictures. Have a great day!

1. F/2.5 1/400 ISO 200

davis1.jpg

2. F/2.8 1/320 ISO 200

claribel4.jpg

3. F/3.2 1/400 ISO 200

claribel3.jpg

4. F/2.8 1/320 ISO 200

claribel2.jpg

5. F/4.0 1/1250 ISO 200

Claribel1.jpg

The 50mm f/1.8 is renowned for being very unforgiving (as in every little imperfection shows) when it comes to portrait shots being taken too close to the subject. I don't see much evidence of it here, but just make sure the camera is far enough away to give skin a nice smooth look. Overall I'm impressed with the composition. I can't manage a self portrait to save my life...

Thank you! Yes skin flaws are a problem with my lens, however, I take them all away using Cs5. I'm just starting to take self portraits because I can't seem to find models and I know a lot of places to take awesome portraits.

the focus is off. that's hard when you're doing self-portraits.

you might want to use a smaller aperture and use an object to focus on where you'll be standing while you're behind the camera... then, use tape or something to mark that spot so that you know exactly where you need to be when you're in front of it.

punch said:
the focus is off. that's hard when you're doing self-portraits.

you might want to use a smaller aperture and use an object to focus on where you'll be standing while you're behind the camera... then, use tape or something to mark that spot so that you know exactly where you need to be when you're in front of it.

That's what I do. I usually set it to manual focus and put something where I'm going to be and focus on that. Or - I have a flip out screen and I use live view and a cable.

The smaller aperture will help as well and moving further away from the camera will give you more depth of field.

I thought #5 was the best one....the lighting was interesting, and you had the camera set up in a tall orientation and aimed at a really cool-looking background NEAR SUNSET. Selfies can be tough. Keep at it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back