Self-Portraits

AJ%20and%20Mikey%201%20(Small)%20(WinCE).JPG

this is me and my deceased boyfriend, michael. he was killed in a car accident on december 10, 2003.

AJ%202%20(WinCE).JPG

aj

Haven't been here in a while, but hey I got a (REALLY Cheap...unemployment sucks) digi cam and can post pics now so I will

I hate pics of my self and as such try to be behind the camera instead of in front of it. (Don't we all!)

Ds2_0013.jpg

Weeeeellllllll, thx for the comments.

Mdowdey: I feel about that tired right now.

and Wolfepak, no reason to hide. I see some potential for some awesome facial expressions.

here's some more.

this one is not a self portrait but it's me doin my thing....

T.jpg

and this one is just for fun...

head.jpg

oh yeah, Vonnagy, that is a maori necklace. My cousin gave it to me for Christmas 3yrs ago when I was there visiting family.

Self-portraits are a funny thing. I liked the post that kicked this all off, because I agree that the goal of self-portraits is to be able to present the image of yourself that you see to the world. One's own image of one's self is seldom the one most others see, but it is an accurate image of a sort.

I spent much of my life hating having to see myself from an unusual perspective. I spent time carefully finding an image of myself I could stand, thank you, and I didn't WANT to be presented with anything else. As I changed, I entered a phase where I became quite pleasantly surprised by other perspectives. I'm not sure where I am now.

Seeing people's pictures here is fascinating because it represents, in some sense, the way people want us to see them. Thus we have amazingly beautiful, intriguing women, and men with unfathomable depths behind enigmatic stares. Every person shown here seems interesting. And I suppose, ultimately, if we saw everyone the way he sees himself, everyone would be interesting.

Enough talk. Here's a series on me.

selfportrait1.jpg

This is the most recent picture, taken tonight. My eyes are sunken into black pits and my hair is a dark halo around me. I look like so many men see themselves, I think: pensive and melancholy. I think the more my face is hidden the more it seems like mine. I only see myself from the inside, after all, and seeing just the brow and the frown somehow gives you an understanding of what it feels like to peer out of my eyes.

Sure, it's typical. But I think it's genuine, even so.

selfportrait2.jpg

This is not a self-portrait. It was taken by my wife, and shows me as I often am: silly, happy, and with a big grin. That's me, too.

selfportrait3.jpg

This portrait is a throw-back to adolescence. Half the reason any boy takes up guitar is because he loves the image of himself wrapped around the beautiful thing, expression intent on his own inner muse. But, once again, I think it rises past this obstacle by being true to the experience. Playing guitar feels like this.

selfportrait4.jpg

Finally, my favorite. (Also the one that friends and relatives say looks nothing like me.) Altered color, even a photoshop filter... yet somehow in the bizarre yellows and greens and the off-kilter stare is my favorite me.

Anyway, sorry for going on to such lengths. It just seemed like a fun exercize.

and im so glad you did.
that was one of the most interesting posts i think ive read here!

deep thinker, right? :sillysmi:

welcome nate..i love the way u described the top one and yes, boys and guitars.
i have a guitar self pic but i dont actually play hehe

Nate, really cool pics, all of them - i really enjoy your descriptions, so often people are wrapped in the technical aspects of photography so its refreshing to see someone describe the more 'human' side to their photos. Cheers for that!

& Jnet, you are gorgeous! Thats is a really beautiful b&w shot. And also very cool- what part of nz does your family live? I'd love to see any of your pics from there :) Any maori blood?

Vonnagy, thankyou. My father is from Samoa and moved to NZ for 7yrs. As did most of his family. They all live in or near to Aukland. I have been there 3 times, unfortunately all my photos are in albums at my house 13hrs away :( I have sooo many too. I think I took 3 rolls of the bubbling mud in rotorua (It's my fav thing, sooooo neat!).

Kent, I really like that second one, the expression on your face is excellent. Did you take it?

Actually I didn't. It's a fairly old pic, and it's been cropped pretty heavily. It was shot with a $40 Canon Owl point/shoot by my ex girlfriend from about 5 years ago. In fact, it was originally color, but I have no idea where that print is. Oh well. ;-)

I still like this one better. :)

holy-sh.JPG

kent frost:
I still like this one better.

wow, no cavities... i have to go the dentist soon, thats the only reason i noticed. i am really dreading it. :(

cool shots kent and jnet (whats the plastic bag for??), i dig those off kilter photos!

here's a recent shot (today). thank god for photoshop for smoothing out the wrinkles, freckles, acne, bad teeth and bedhead! it was alot of work!

me3.jpg

(puts on force field to protect himself from terri's remarks)

*waits for terri....

ah bugger it, hubba hubba

Jnet..i love the expression on your face in that last one. what a cutie!

Most reactions

Back