Self taught or schooled

Dubie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was just wondering how many of you taught yourself photgraphy or were formally educated?

self taught, no courses. and opened a photography book yesterday for the first time ever (and was a bit disappointed)!

That is why most of my images are so poor and end up in the bloopers section ;)

Self taught but next year I am taking a class. A little bit for fun, a bit to see if I'll surprisingly learn anything(that'll probably come back to me and I'll learn a ton), and a bit to have an easy class I already should know well.

I took 4 years in highschool. Two were straight B&W photography, and two were with photoshop, scanning prints into the computer and doing stuff with them. Keep in mind that I graduated 6 years ago, the only digital cameras we had access too had a resolution of 640x480, the ones that took a floppy disk....

I also took a few classes in college. Nothing major.

I was formally educated at Defense Information School recieving college credits. Then from there I was taught by more expirenced photographers and I still consider myself still learning.

My dad was a photographer for some magazines and I learnt a lot off him. Then he stopped and I taught myself for a few years. Then at uni I picked up a few classes and learnt a fair bit.

I always try to learn things off other people at some stage - because they always know something you don't know. And if they don't teach you something completely knew - at least they'll show you a different way of thinking or doing things. hehehe or they'll prove that you were doing it right in the first place. :)

Self-taught, if you can call it that. Or "TPF-taught"?
I have never ever in all my life had even the remotest chance to go to a class or any kind of schooling on photography. I wish I could now! I'd love to.

Self-taught although I'll be taking a class next semester.

Mentored briefly and learned with film before moving to digital.

You learn extremely quickly when you're returned a roll of film with no photos you're happy with and still have to empty your wallet to pay for your next few rolls. Don't buy cheap comsumer film for this. It doesn't have the same depressing effect.

Still reading and learning of forums and books for techniques.

Would like to join a class or find a new mentor.

Pretty much self taught. Assigned to a photographer who didn't want to teach me still and movie film craft.

Got himself fired and I HAD to learn and fast!

40+ years later, I'm still at it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back