Selling event photos on location, same day

You are also going to want to check with the school first simply because they may not allow you to do this. From what I have encountered, most schools will not allow you to take photos for sale unless you go through a bunch of red tape to get permission from students etc. If you want to shoot on the sidelines you have to get a background check and all that crap. You said you sold them before, but that was a bit more discrete than setting up a booth.

However, aside from the legal red tape, I think that would work well if you had an assistant and were confident that the photos would not require any editing.

Don't feel like reading it all so I may repeat what has already been said...

Your biggest problem is the printer unless you don't want this to be a long term business. Home printers are totally useless for photography not because of the quality of the image (most of them are quite nice in that respect and some are beautiful) but because of the life span of the print. Unless you keep the prints from a home printer in the dark, they will start fading within a few months. Is that what you want to be known for?

Good Point. He could get a higher end printer like the Canon Pixma Pro9500 which uses Pigment based inks as opposed to dye based ( the pro9000 uses dye unless the new models have changed ).

Haha thanks guys. But I don't want to print on location. Just take pre-orders. And, you realize this thread is pretty old and just got dug up by a troll, right?

You are also going to want to check with the school first simply because they may not allow you to do this. From what I have encountered, most schools will not allow you to take photos for sale unless you go through a bunch of red tape to get permission from students etc. If you want to shoot on the sidelines you have to get a background check and all that crap. You said you sold them before, but that was a bit more discrete than setting up a booth.

However, aside from the legal red tape, I think that would work well if you had an assistant and were confident that the photos would not require any editing.

I've shot over 50 sporting events at 8 local high schools. I hand all the coaches my card and explain why I'm there before the game. I've never needed any kind of background check to get on the sidelines, I just walk out there. I've never once been questioned on it. The first game I shot I asked permission, and the AD of the school told me that I was welcome to photography sporting events whenever I want.

I always email the school yearbook club and offer to let them use a few of my photos in the yearbook as a thank you for letting me shoot the games.

I know I'm new to this forum and I hope you don't mind my input. I started my photography business in 1999 doing weekend races at the local track. Now I have an event business that supports myself and my husband. I started with a 10x10 canopy, 1 computer and 1 printer along with 2 tables. One table was dressed with a cloth and had samples of my work framed in 81/2 x 11 frames I got from The Dollar Tree. I took the pictures, downloaded them onto the printer and my husband showed them to the customer. I went to the person who was putting on the event and asked permission to set up, take pictures and sell them. I'm leaving alot out but you get the drift. There is a time when you have to stop taking photos (when you have taken enough photos of everyone) and get back to the booth to sell your photos. Having a helper is important but 1 person can't do it all when you have a crowd at your table. I printed out proofs on great copy paper and they looked thru them and ordered their shots. If you have only a couple of people at your booth looking you can show them from your computer. Printing on the spot is vitally important because they get showed around when a customer purchases them and goes back to their seat.
I always put the event logo on each photo unless the customer requests I not put anything on it. Also, I put the persons name on the photo as well. That's a wonderful way to personalize each photo and the customers absolutely love it. Something photographers forget to mention when trying to help others in the same business and that's criticizing your own work. Never get satisfied with your work. Always try to do better and it will show up in the pictures you take. I paid my helper by the day and although they knew I made alot of money from that event, I am the owner of that business with experience on my side and overhead to boot. I joked that McDonalds never did split their profits with their employees.
I've sense graduated to full time (Oct 2005) and my husband quit his job of 28 yrs and we're on the road 30+ wks of the year. I started with race cars and highschool sports but realized that specializing in 1 area was right for me. So, I'm photographing equine trail rides exclusively. It's just my husband and I along with a 20ft cargo trailer that is our home and office.
I'm sorry for I could go on and on but I'm sure the reading would get boring after a while.
Thank you for hearing me out.

Most reactions

Back