Selling images for online newspaper

heyjoe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,
First let me say that I have indeed been using the "search" function in the forum and I've come across alot of good advice. But I wanted to ask a more specific question or two.

I am a hobbyist and have been approached by the editor of a local "online-only" newspaper to do some freelance work. Basically they want to give me a flat fee for a set number of photos per week. I would be covering local community events and local town meetings, etc. Probably also do some slice of life stuff to correspond with their weekly columns/stories.

I know they don't have a huge budget, and I'm more interested in this opportunity as a resume-builder. Sounds like I'd be getting around $10 per photograh (again, 3-4 photographs / week).

Setting all of that aside, what should I be worried about with respect to "selling" the images. Am I selling the images outright? Should I be concerned with owning the images and only "leasing" their use on the newspaper's website? Again, this is an "online-only" newspaper, so all things will be digital.

Thanks so much for any input!
-Joe

Thanks for the info, KmH. You seem to be a wealth of knowledge around here. I found the ASMP website very thorough and helpful, and thecopyrightzone site a seemingly great resource. Time to dig in to some reading...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back