Selling Images To Ad Agencies

Naicidrac

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,
I am not new to photography, but I am new to commercial photography. I have been shooting personal images and portraits for customers, but now I am getting some offers to shoot commercial work. I wanted to ask some basic questions like how do I charge for commercial work when the customer will be using my images on billboards and signs? I know this is a broad question and maybe you guys can point me to a website where I can research the topic more. I know when I started doing portraits you guys pointed out basic ways to charge people and I wanted to get something like that for commercial photography. I know there is a lot more about copyrights and laws, but for now I would just like an idea.

www.asmp.org for the basic of use licensing. Get their book Professional Business practices in photography. It's an excellent primer.

http://www.cradocfotosoftware.com/ is a great source for industry standard software that generates pricing for various use license combinations

Last edited:
if your free lance, the price is upto you

if your free lance, the price is upto you
Yes, but.......

Price to low, you undercut the entire industry and eventually yourself too. If everyone does that, pretty soon no one can afford to be a photographer as a full time profession, because clients will have gotten used to paying less for images.

Price to high, and you starve because no one will buy your stuff.

So, the way you compete is with high quality images and first rate service.

Most reactions

Back