SnowNow12

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jemeryphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello All,
I would like to advertise myself as a second shooter for wedding photography in my area. Any advice for the most professional presentation of my experience and my work? I have a website, cards, resume, etc.
Is it best to call or email?
As a professional wedding photographer, what are you looking for in a second shooter?
Most of my experience is in pp and as a graphic designer for the last 10 years. Does that weigh in when choosing a second shooter?
Thank you!

Hello All,
I would like to advertise myself as a second shooter for wedding photography in my area. Any advice for the most professional presentation of my experience and my work? I have a website, cards, resume, etc.
Is it best to call or email?

Personally, I would visit potential photographers in person... dressed professionally, with a knock-em-dead portfolio in hand. I tend to think you'd have better luck actually talking to 10 photographers face to face than you would cold-calling 50 of them.

P.S. Is it snowing there? I'm near Sacramento, and we're having a surprise rainshower as we speak.

Yeah, it's been snowing on and off all day, but nothing's sticking. It's kinda harshing my spring time mellow!
Thanks for the input. My problem is most of the photographers in town are hard to get a hold of and a lot come from out of town. Would it be unprofessional of me to contact via email? Would it be bad if I actually called? I'm trying to be careful because I don't want to put anyone off with the wrong approach.
THanks again!

There are many ways of communication and either one is fine because you are staying in contact. A lot of the time, photographers don't have time to set aside an appointment to physically meet up and email or calling is extremely convenient. A lot of photographers aren't established as corporate, so I see no reason to not contact them any way possible. Shoot, if they give out their email/number then why not???

My boss contacted me through flickr and now I'm a professional photographer for a local business. I email clients/2nd shooters all the time. Phone calls are 'imo' more professional and personal, though. I didn't provide much as a portfolio, just my flickr. In your case, I'd provide a hard copy portfolio and links when it comes to emailing or setting up an appointment, dress nicely but not over the top, unless you're doing a high end session.

I agree with Jim. As you said in your title you will be "selling yourself". The best way to do that is in person pouring it on. Only take your very best work as a portfolio. Quality before quantity.
Know your limits. Don't ever say you can do something you can't. You take on more than you can do and screw it up you are effectively done.
Every photographer will have a diferent way of doing things, regardless of what you know if you are working for another photog...do what they say, how they say it. Don't assume you know more and go off on your own. That opens you up to liability if things going wrong because you were working outside your assigned parameters.
Also make an agreement that while you are there you will be allowed to use photos you have taken for your portfolio.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back