Selling Photographs?

OTF_Photography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
photographybypopulardemand.webs.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So all of you that are in the business I have a few questions...So obviously the most common photographers take shots of people. Weddings, portraits etc. What about shots of other things. Seeing as how it is much easier to find a free image than buy one. How do you guys sell photos when it isnt taking pictures of people? Do you just submit them to micro stock sites? Do you order cheap prints and sell them on your own? Do you email companies to see if they will bite?

It's not so much about what you shoot (people vs things) but more about what you are selling. If you are just selling images, it's probably a lot harder than selling the service of professional photography. In other words, with most things you are selling yourself...and I'd thing that it's large the same when selling images (to the public). Stock agencies are different in that they do the selling, but from what I've heard, it's rather hard to make much money with that.

So all of you that are in the business I have a few questions...So obviously the most common photographers take shots of people. Weddings, portraits etc. What about shots of other things. Seeing as how it is much easier to find a free image than buy one. How do you guys sell photos when it isnt taking pictures of people? Do you just submit them to micro stock sites? Do you order cheap prints and sell them on your own? Do you email companies to see if they will bite?

Get the inexpensive, yearly book: 2011 Photographers Market by Writers Digest books.

In addition to some photography business basics, the book is a collection of contact information for:
  • Consumer Publications
  • Newspapers & Newsletters
  • Trade Publications
  • Book Publishers
  • Greeting Card companies
  • Stock Photo agencies
  • Advertising, Design and related
  • Galleries
  • Art Fairs
  • Contests
  • Photo Representatives
  • Workshops & Photo Tours

I have taken many fine art photographs, and I really wish someone would take a look at them. Is there a website I can sell them to, or post them on?

I use Zenfolio for some of mine. There is a link down there in my siggy ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓.

I also have several images hanging in a few art galleries here in my region.

The market is just flooded with photographs of all kinds, and the flood grows by the day.

Consequently, skill at marketing and promotion are vital to generating significant sales.

Very much agree with KmH and Big Mike.

There are so many photographers out there, some good some not so much, trying to sell their photographs. Especially fine art. Galleries, in my experience, are a hobby and maybe you'll sell a print or two every once in awhile but they aren't going to pay the bills in this economy. People can't usually justify buying an expensive piece to hang on their wall.

In my experience, what they can, and will, afford is pictures of their children, weddings, corporate events, property (realtors), etc. The big trick there is not to undersell your work. make your time, training and equipment pay. You are worth it!

Stock photography, submit pictures if you have some laying around on your hard drive, but don't be disappointed if the fish don't bite.

I have taken many fine art photographs, and I really wish someone would take a look at them. Is there a website I can sell them to, or post them on?

Tell me about it!

Most of my sales have come from referrals. Someone at work bought a picture, their friend saw it hanging and ordered another of my shots and so on.

Other people visit my website. (although I wish I could drive more traffic there)

I am actually donating a framed print to a local charity auction because I hope it will help to get more people to see my work. They are going to list me as a vendor who donated and give a link to my website on all of their prize listings.

I would love to get some of my work into galleries but I just dont have the time to do the legwork needed.

It might help to post a useful link in your sig, instead of your spam, for example.

Most reactions

Back