Selling prints question

crawdaddio

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ok so I posted some photos of pool related stuff on a pool forum that I frequent. People started coming out of the woodwork asking me for large files for desktops, prints for poolrooms etc...Since I have never sold a print (or file) I start browsing around photo sites to check going rates. I offer everyone a copywrite, watermarked (small in one corner) emailed original file for 25.00(couldn't find any price reference on these) and un-watermarked prints for: 8" x 10"--$50.00 or 11" x 14"---$60.00. I find these prices right in line with most photographers websites.

My question is: Are these prices out of line? Most people replied that I am crazy for asking that much! Most probably aren't familiar with photography, but I don't know. Did I ask too for too much? I am new to all this as my photos have never drawn this much attention. Please offer any advice or insight that you can.

Thanks
~DC

In my personal opinion its not what others charge (Well it sorta does) but it is mainly what you are happy recieving for the prints. You have to consider: Time, Printing Costs, Postage and how many you are likely to sell. If you are only going to sell one, yes put a large price on it as it will be unique and unique comes at a price! Where as if you will be selling a majority e.g. 10 sell them slightly cheaper as you will still be making a great deal of money plus more people get to know you and use you again.

I may have just talked aload of rubbish but in my opinion thats how it works BUT... Everyone does it different.

The prices sound reasonable, possibly a smidgen cheap(?) - you've identified a demand, so sell to that demand and maximise income. (I reckon!)

Rob

I don't think your prices are unreasonable. Like Cbay said, you're the only one that has to be happy with the price.

I sell single matted, lab made prints for 8"x12" = $50 and 12"x18 = $80, for private (not commercial) use. I think it's a pretty good deal for a matted, ready to frame photograph, and I make plenty of money. I sell single matted, hand printed gelatin silver prints for 8"x10" = $90, and 11" x 14" = $150. It takes a lot more of my time, and it's not a common product anymore.

I add the mat because I have a mat cutter, and it's easy and cheap. I think the photo looks better with the mat, and its easy for them to pop it into a frame. Without the mat it's too easy for them to stick the photo away in a drawer waiting until they have time to get a mat.

ive run into the same thing, ive had alot of people here locally asking me to do pictures of their cars, and i have been charging less than you have and people are still complaining. I set up an MPIX acount for printing and people have questioned the prices.
is there any way to try to explain the reasoning for the prices?

to the OP-i didnt mean to hijack your thread, but i figured since we are having the same problem i should ask my question here that way both of us can get any additional info!

303villain said:
ive run into the same thing, ive had alot of people here locally asking me to do pictures of their cars, and i have been charging less than you have and people are still complaining. I set up an MPIX acount for printing and people have questioned the prices.

to the OP-i didnt mean to hijack your thread, but i figured since we are having the same problem i should ask my question here that way both of us can get any additional info!

X years experience and Y thousand dollars of equipment. Why does the plumber always charge so much?? :) Cos YOU can't do it yourself!!!!

Rob

303villain said:

I don't think there is any explanation needed. I see products and services all the time that I don't think are worth it. So I don't buy them; I don't ask for justification of the price. As a photographer you can compare what prices similar services/products as you offer bring other local photographers, but you are under no obligation to base your prices on what someone else does or wants.

If I really want to scare a reluctant buyer I quote them a commercial use price. :)

303villain said:
...is there any way to try to explain the reasoning for the prices?

And... remember, all... we're not selling 8x10's, but rather OUR IMAGES. The problem with photography is everyone can "take pictures." Every one has been to the drug store to have film developed. So, when we have different prices for different sizes of prints, they remember how much they pay for an 8x10 at the drug store. Some photographers don't sell differing sizes. They simply make a print the size they deem appropriate. Do you think DeVinci painted serveal different expressions and clothing changes of the Mona Lisa, and then offered the choice of different sizes at differing prices?

Only once (but it felt so good) did I suggest to a customer that if she wanted a REALLY good price on an 8x10 she should go to the camera store where she could buy a whole box of 'em. But if she wanted my image on it, she'd have to pay.

Pete

haha thanks for the plumbing reference, i liked that one. i agree with christie alot, anybody can take a picture, but whats going to set your disposable camera apart from someone who knows what theyre doing is going to be the quality. and i just spoke with a few people who ive been talking to about doing work for have come to realize this.

most people are willing to pay for better quality. I work @ bestbuy, we sell tv's for 8000, but if you want the best quality, you'll pay for it. and people do! heck, my uncle spent 400 on a 20x30 print of their dog!

Since it's a pool forum you're on...why not give them a pool reference. (I assume it's the billiards type of pool...not swimming)

Tell them to sell you a custom pool table for the price of materials. After all, it's just wood, slate (or what ever it is)...felt and some other stuff. Of, course, nobody would. It takes a great deal of expertise and special equipment to make a pool table. Same deal with a good photograph.

Thanks everyone for the great replies and info here. I agree with you all, and feel that my images are worth it. I'm sticking to my guns here, and I have actually sold a couple 8x10s. Whoohoo! My first sale!

Quote Mike:
"Since it's a pool forum you're on...why not give them a pool reference. (I assume it's the billiards type of pool...not swimming)"

Here's one of the images I have sold.

thelonelyones4.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back