Selling Prints?

StreetShark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I would like to start selling some prints locally but the only problem is I don't have a clue how to start! I'm also unsure of how much to sell each print for (8x10 is the size I think im going to use), how to advertise (get my name around) and where to sell them. If anybody could give me a few tips on how to get started that would be great!

Sell prints can be a tough gig. One approach would be to go where people are buying...a craft show or flea market. Another approach would be to put your images where people can see them...A coffee shop or other type of store/shop/restaurant.
Either way, it's probably going to cost you.

I'm sure there are any number of other ways to sell prints...good luck.

We just started our business selling our underwater photographs last year. We have done it as a hobby for years and people would tell us we should sell them but I never had the time. I am taking a break from working in healthcare and working on our business. I have sold them at craft shows but price must be low to get them to sell. I started a web site because people expect you to have one and always ask if you do. I also hope to sell on it. www.underwaterimagesbycherylanddoug.com I live near Columbus, Ohio so I have a big area to work with. I was lucky enough to find a great art gallery that would sell my work on consignment. www.gallery202online.com I am on the web site as new artist and will be having an artist reception in August which should help get my name out there. I also have placed my work in two different gift shops in different areas around Columbus. What kind of photographs are you selling? Can you sell them as fine art? Then make a portfolio and check out art galleries and see if any gift shops take art to sell on consignment. Also I was surprised by two things-on how much time it takes to do our business and by how nice everyone has been, even when I was turned down by some other places, I got very helpful info. If I think of anything else in the future, I will pass it along info as I am still learning. Cheryl Kneisley:wink:

We have found that greeting cards can be a good option. It takes persistence and dedication because once you get in a store, you need to be regular in maintaining that relationship. It is ALL about business and very little about photography.

I agree on both points. Gallery wants me to do boxed note cards with my photographs printed on them but I havent had time yet. At first I spent all my time going thru images,finding negs and looking for my best shots, but now it is all the business part. Right now I am reframing a picture that accidently got damaged at the gift shop. But that is OK cause at least they are being sold in that gift shop. Cheryl :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back