Selling to Newspapers

jmandell

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am in high school and am thinking of selling some of my HS sports shots to our local weekly newspaper. I have not approached them yet and I am not sure how to. Should I just email, call, visit in person? I should have a good portfolio ready presentation, correct?

I am not sure if they accept photos from non staff photographers, but I very rarely see any of their photogs at any of the sporting events.

If they are willing to take my photos, what should I charge per photo, what are the legalities of this, do I need a business licence?

One thing that concerned me is on their website they sell photos from the paper and the state that they own the copyrights to the photos, does this mean I have to sell all my rights to my photos?

I also use these photos for my school yearbook, any conflicts there?

Thank you for your help,

Justin

EDIT: Here is a few sample images from a scrimage, our first game was tonight :) http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/photojournalism-sports-gallery/295457-hs-football-c-c.html

Also, do I need releases from the players, I am fairly sure the signed a permission to publish for the school, but I am not sure if that applies?

And a little about my gear: Nikon D700 w/ 80-200 2.8

Last edited:
Since your location isn't listed in your profile, we have no idea what the legalities might be, or whether you would need any sort of licensing. If you do provide them to the newspaper, draft up a basic "Non exclusive rights for journalistic print" use license (Mr. Google can help you with that); that will prevent any issues with your Yearbook or anything else.

That said, based on my experience with small newspapers, (and there are others here who can likely talk with greater authority), I would be very surprised if they would pay anything for the images. Newspapers like everywhere else are on tight budgets these days, and if their paid guy didn't get it, and you won't give it freely, it probably won't get run. You could try asking $25/image, but I think realisitically print-credit is the most you can hope for.

I had a quick look at your images,and in addition to the comments there, if you want to make your shots news-worthy, then concentrate on making images of one or two players that are identifiable (clearly showing their jersey numbers) and preferably with some action in the shot, OR "big" overall shots of a play.

Since your location isn't listed in your profile, we have no idea what the legalities might be, or whether you would need any sort of licensing. If you do provide them to the newspaper, draft up a basic "Non exclusive rights for journalistic print" use license (Mr. Google can help you with that); that will prevent any issues with your Yearbook or anything else.

That said, based on my experience with small newspapers, (and there are others here who can likely talk with greater authority), I would be very surprised if they would pay anything for the images. Newspapers like everywhere else are on tight budgets these days, and if their paid guy didn't get it, and you won't give it freely, it probably won't get run. You could try asking $25/image, but I think realisitically print-credit is the most you can hope for.

I had a quick look at your images,and in addition to the comments there, if you want to make your shots news-worthy, then concentrate on making images of one or two players that are identifiable (clearly showing their jersey numbers) and preferably with some action in the shot, OR "big" overall shots of a play.

Thanks for the reply, I'm in Ohio.

I feel as though you are right in the fact of only getting print credit. I would like to get some money, but credit would be okay.

Make sure they credit the photos correctly. I've had my photos credited to the staff photographer not once, but TWICE now. I don't submit to them anymore because making their photographer look better is NOT my goal.

Most of the newspapers don't buy anymore. There are enough people willing to submit for credit that the only thing they "buy" is what their staff photographers produce.
You might want to consider the legalities to doing any selling of your images. You then really need to have a business license, sales tax ID and report all of that stuff. I think it's a great thing for a kid in high school to do. It's an education that you can teach yourself.
Start a business plan and researching everything you need to be in business, everything you need to report and how to go about doing it.
We have tons of resources to help you with if you decide to start the process or at least the research!

Most reactions

Back