Semantics

abraxas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The word I have in mind; "Fake."

How why and when do you use it, what does it mean to you?

I see it as a word used with purely negative connotation. Occasionally if not rarely appropriate, but I see it used on TPF with such frequency that I wonder if it is used for lack of an adequate vocabulary.

Are there alternatives that would better describe thoughts, or is "fake" the word of choice?

I see it used on TPF with such frequency that I wonder if it is used for lack of an adequate vocabulary.

In what way?
Fake you? Fake off? Fake-rying out loud? :lmao:

To me it just means 'not genuine'. But I'm old fashioned - gay still means happy to me :mrgreen:

In what way?

To me it just means 'not genuine'. ...

Here's a few definitions;

something that is a counterfeit; not what it seems to be

forge: make a copy of with the intent to deceive; "he faked the signature"; "they counterfeited dollar bills"; "She forged a Green Card"

imposter: a person who makes deceitful pretenses

fudge: fake or falsify; "Fudge the figures"; "cook the books"; "falsify the data"

bogus: fraudulent; having a misleading appearance

bull****: talk through one's hat; "The politician was not well prepared for the debate and faked it"

not genuine or real; being an imitation of the genuine article; "it isn't fake

anything; it's real synthetic fur"; "faux pearls"; "false teeth"; "decorated with imitation palm leaves"; "a purse of simulated alligator hide"

wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn
( google: define:fake )

So "not genuine" is a definition.

not fake or counterfeit; "a genuine Picasso"; "genuine leather"

not pretended; sincerely felt or expressed; "genuine emotion"; "her interest in people was unfeigned"; "true grief"

actual: being or reflecting the essential or genuine character of something; "her actual motive"; "a literal solitude like a desert"- G.K.Chesterton; "a genuine dilemma"

wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn
( google : define:genuine )

The proper, non negotiable book definition from the OED unabridged is as follows:

"An act of ‘faking’; a contrivance, ‘dodge’, trick, invention; a ‘faked’ or ‘cooked’ report. Passing from slang to colloq. in the sense of ‘a counterfeit person or thing’."

And I don't care much about real or fake except with regard to boobs.

The proper, non negotiable book definition from the OED unabridged is as follows:

"An act of ‘faking’; a contrivance, ‘dodge’, trick, invention; a ‘faked’ or ‘cooked’ report. Passing from slang to colloq. in the sense of ‘a counterfeit person or thing’."

And I don't care much about real or fake except with regard to boobs.

:thumbup:

All the definitions so far have a negative 'feel' to them.

Most of the examples in context I see in the threads seem to imply this negativity. Overall, with a few exceptions, the word is out of place and a positive replacement could be used with relatively little effort. I'm just wondering if users mean to be so prickish?

For example:

"Enhanced boobs", can be a good thing- very cool in fact.

"Fake boobs", sound like something a pervert keeps in his sock drawer.

and the word "boobs", well that's just awesome.

True, but in practice this is more of an ethical problem you seem to have than a semantic one. That is to say, the word "fake" is a relatively negative word semantically speaking. Whether it's appropriate to use it, or okay to risk hurting someone's feelings is an ethical dilemma, not a semantic one.

True, but in practice this is more of an ethical problem you seem to have than a semantic one. That is to say, the word "fake" is a relatively negative word semantically speaking. Whether it's appropriate to use it, or okay to risk hurting someone's feelings is an ethical dilemma, not a semantic one.

Ok, my bad, "appears to me to be" rather than "is."

Then I would think people who use the word are intentionally negative or unaware of their usage?

When I use the word fake, I use it to mean "meant to decieve."

I just see it thrown around a lot in the forums and would like to understand how it is meant.

HVR's "not genuine" helps.

I think contrived is a good way to put it. That opens up a whole other can of worms in that all photos are theoretically contrived.

I think we are shooting ourselves in the foot if we start critically analyzing words that people use. We are basically typing at each other. Not like it is a real conversation. I think if we try and understand what someone is (maybe pathetically) getting at we will have a lot more fun.

Love & Bass

Most reactions

New Topics

Back