Alison

Swiss Army Friend
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
fatephoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I always try to use fill flash when shooting outside to avoid harsh shadows but I don't seem to be all that good at it. Is there a way to meter for the available light and just add a bit of flash? I use an external flash. I try to use reflectors when I can but it's not always possible.

I use the flash guide number to pick an aperture based on distance to subject, and then close it a stop or so. I determine the shutter speed by metering available light at the final f/# I've chosen.

EDIT: I guess I should point out that this is about cameras in general, and not just the 10D, but it should work the same.

i haven't received my 10D yet, and i barely ever use a flash, but what i do is that i compensate at -1 stop or so, depending on the distance. and almost always use a reflector, though i've been pondering getting a ttl cable for a while now.
and i assume you can set up the flash on the 2nd curtain (sorry, not sure how it's calle in english) of the shutter, instead of the first. it makes the ttl compensation easier, and facilitates the exposure of the background a little.

Most reactions

Back