Send Good Vibes the Way of My Computer

A

astrostu

I need to pray to the Computer God tonight. :hail:

My desktop just decided to shut down, and I can't get it to turn back on. It's 71 months old (would be 6 years this May), and I was saving up for a new one come August. It looks like I may need to accelerate my timetable by 4 months.

A few months ago, it was a thermal issue with the power supply unit's (PSU's) fan dying, so overheating, and thermally shutting down. I did a fix by taping a microprocessor fan to the outside of the case, at the exhaust of the PSU's dead fan, sucking the hot air out, and that had worked fine for the last several months (since October '06).

I've opened it up and I'm letting the computer cool off before I try to turn it on again, and I'm hoping it's just an issue where I need to turn the fan up a notch higher because it just overheated again.

I don't suppose anyone has other ideas for this 6-year-old Mac desktop? :confused:

6 years!? I think it's done it's service. Let the poor thing die in peace :lol:

there's probaby more wrong with it at this point than it's worth replacing. A new PSU might be worth it, just make sure you get one compatable with a computer that old... sorry to hear about it, my laptop is currently dead...

Most reactions

Back