Sending film through x-rays

SuitcaseYogi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
When traveling via airports with a film camera with film in it, is it a potential hazard for the film to be sent through the x-ray security scanner? I wouldn't feel comfortable checking it in with a large suitcase, because there is always a risk of damaging the camera. Just wondering if it's okay for the film (whether exposures have been taken or not) to pass through x-rays.

Kodak wrote a nice little article on the subject Baggage X-ray Scanning Effects on Film. The most important thing to take from it though is that you never put your undeveloped film in a checked bag, the scanners used on checked bags are like a cat scan and will obliterate it. I personally never put my film through the x-ray, just put all of your film in a plastic bag so they can do a hand check easily.

Film with an ISO of 400 or less won't be affected by the carry-on x-ray. Avoid putting it in baggage to be checked. Best practices are to remove the film from its boxes, and even canisters if it's 35mm film, and line it neatly in a ziplock baggie so security can see it easily. (My only past issues asking for hand checks were when I carried infrared film, only to have them pop it open and expose it all!) :irked: But, that's only a concern for infrared.

What I've done since then is leave it boxed in my camera bag and put a mark on the box each time it's passed through. I've used film that's passed through carry-on security with several marks on them with no ill effects. Really, no need to be concerned. Once you've exposed the film, if you can get it processed locally wherever you happen to be, it's a good thing to do. :) Generally letting it roll through on the carry-on conveyor belt has been the most trouble-free for me.

Cool, thank you for the responses. :)

Most reactions

Back