Senior and Family Pictures

I'm not starting a business. 16 year olds don't won businesses or pay taxes..
Thank you very much for all the input though it helped a lot.

Uh, yeah, they do pay taxes. 16 year olds are also able to inform and educate themselves if they are really interested in something. Don't use your age as an excuse for your attitude.

Sure they do. Both Utah and the feds expect 16 year olds that earn enough income to pay income and federal social security taxes.

The same goes for state use taxes and a business collecting and forwarding state sales taxes to the state.

Since when has ANY 16 year old payed taxes? I've NEVER met someone my age who has to pay taxes.

Like you said if I earn a certain amount of money I will pay, but I'm not gonna be making that much money. I'm done with this conversation and I'm not gonna argue about something that won't happen to me.

Like you said if I earn a certain amount of money I will pay, but I'm not gonna be making that much money. I'm done with this conversation and I'm not gonna argue about something that won't happen to me.

You should really research your states tax laws before assuring yourself that it wont happen to you. Different states have different amounts of income that is the cutoff for requiring a tax Id and/or income tax.

Also... I went to high school with two guys that made enough money mowing lawns and doing yard work that they had to file income taxes. They were 16 and 17 years old. The state doesnt care about your age, only how much tax money you owe them.

I can see where this might be an unlikely scenario for you, but its always better to know where that income line is just in case things go better than you expect them to.

Sure they do. Both Utah and the feds expect 16 year olds that earn enough income to pay income and federal social security taxes.

The same goes for state use taxes and a business collecting and forwarding state sales taxes to the state.

Since when has ANY 16 year old payed taxes? I've NEVER met someone my age who has to pay taxes.

Paid 'em when I was 16 and worked fast food. Seems like your attitude will get you far.

Lol, plan for success.

Since they first instituted personal income tax in the USA (1861).

It's about income and whatever deductions you qualify for, not age.
There is no age limit on having to pay taxes.

Does a 16 year old have to pay income tax

If you have earned income of more than $950 a year you're required to file a return, though your parents can still claim you as a dependent.
http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Do-You-Need-to-File-a-Federal-Income-Tax-Return?--22

Last edited:
Then you just don't know anyone your age who has a job. My first job was as a busboy at a restaurant near my home. I started there when I was 16-years old, and believe me, I paid taxes.

Yeah I do actually, and none of them pay taxes. I asked them at school and they all said no.

Then you just don't know anyone your age who has a job. My first job was as a busboy at a restaurant near my home. I started there when I was 16-years old, and believe me, I paid taxes.

Yeah I do actually, and none of them pay taxes. I asked them at school and they all said no.

just because they ARENT paying taxes, doesnt mean they shouldn't be. that sort of thing isn't just relegated to photographers.
its the amount of money you make that the IRS cares about. I think the general consensus here is that you should at least know what that number is in your state just in case you end up doing better than expected with the photography. unless your saying that you don't intend to pay taxes regardless of how much money you make. that's pretty common as well. not recommended, but common practice.

Alternatively, they're not aware that they're paying taxes. I can't speak for the US, but in Canada, it's very common for employers to hold back all government deductions and give the employee a net pay-cheque.

If your friends have a real job, they pay taxes. Sorry.

If your friends have a real job, they pay taxes. Sorry.

Okay because working at a restaurant isn't a real job.
Let's assume that either (1) they're paying taxes and aren't aware of it, (2) that their rate of pay is below the threshold for which such tax is required, or (3) They're working "under the table". Irrespective of which of the three are in fact the case, you are required by US federal law to declare your income and pay appropriate taxes as proscribed by the IRS. Yes, you can get away without it, at least for a while; you might even get away with it for years, BUT, the longer you conduct your business in that manner, the greater the chance you will be caught. FWIW, the penalties for being caught will very likely exceed the amount of money you've made in that period.

Believe us when we say you are required to pay taxes. If you choose not to, that's your business...

Most reactions

Back