Senior Picture Tips

Sinister_kid

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well i'm going to be doing some shooting for some friends of mine for their senior pictures and just want some tips on taking the portraits. I haven't really taken any portraits before so this will kinda just be winging it.

Any tips at all are greatly appreciated! Thanks.

D80 with 18-135mm "kit" lens. But my buddy has some other lenses that i can borrow if need be. Such as his 18-55mm

zoom in to at least 35mm always. make sure the lighting isn't too harsh on their faces. MAKE SURE TO GET YOUR FOCUS. there are so many shots that i LOVE but miss my focus. good luck!

take too many pictures. That way, when you delete the "technically bad" ones (missed focus, motion blur, hand shake) you'll still have a lot to choose from.

When shooting, talk to them constantly. Get their input on the shots. Try things that they suggest. The more comfortable they get with you will show itself on the final results.

Thanks for all the input guys! I went and did the shoot and it was great! Got some really good shots.

Definitly talk. If you're not a talker with strangers or people you're not around alot, get used to it. If you're going to be in photography for a while, there is alot of interaction with people

What kinds of lenses did your friend have. I would suggest a 50 or 85mm 1.4 or 1.8. If you're shooting outsite, you can stop the lens down (make the aperature smaller) to get a larger depth of field and also a sharper image.

KEEP THE EYES IN FOCUS KEEP THE EYES IN FOCUS

NO MATTER WHAT KEEP THE EYES IN FOCUS!!!!

Change the focus to dynamic in your camera and that way you can choose where the camera focuses

~Michael~

Most reactions

New Topics

Back