Senior Picture

KHarmon1971

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone, I am new to this site. I shoot mostly nature, weather, and sports photography, and have never considered myself much of a portrait photographer.

With that being said, my son is graduating high school in a few weeks, and rather than hiring a professional photographer to do his senior pics, he asked me to do them. I told him that I wouldn't be able to do him justice in that department and begged him to let me hire a pro, but he wouldn't have it.

Anyways, I shot a series and this is my favorite of the group, and I'm not sure if I would consider this a portrait or not, but it is also his favorite of the series. Would like to hear some comments about what went right in this picture, and what could have gone better.

Attachments

• 31945913_10212947099735488_8195147747976806400_n.jpg
    31945913_10212947099735488_8195147747976806400_n.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 147
Welcome. That is an awesome start. I think it's a great moment in this young man's life and to have him insist on you capturing it, speaks volumes about you as a parent. You are truly Blessed, savor the moment. Look forward to seeing more of them.

Echoing JC's comments above, this is a great concept, well executed. Please share more.

Agree with the above, a good shot and well taken and I look forward to seeing more.

Would anyone have done anything different with the processing? That is a huge weakness for me. I prefer a darkroom and chemicals. The art of post processing eludes me.

Would anyone have done anything different with the processing? That is a huge weakness for me. I prefer a darkroom and chemicals. The art of post processing eludes me.

Most of my early photography involved a darkroom and chemicals as well, so I had a similar problem when I went to digital years later. For me it helped to clear my mind of previous assumptions and start thinking of a digital file as a collection of data - not an image, that can be manipulated and massaged in any manner I like in post. The better job I do in collecting data when I take the shot the better my final image will be.

Both images you've presented show you have a good eye toward composition and exposure. Not knowing what you are using for software, makes it difficult to comment on things you might do differently.

It lookslgood to me. I'm the same way with editing. With B&W, if it needs something, I just make sure the whites aren't blown out and the shadows are how I like them to look, which is usually on the darker side. Hopefully, it falls into place after those two adjustments. 9.5 out 10 it does. If the original image is color, don't forget you can alter the color channels as well if it's been converted.

Looks like everything went right. That second one is nice!! I like that.

I don't know if the first one is considered a portrait but to me it is. And a darn good one. No wonder your son wanted you to take his senior pictures, the kid must have good judgement! I've done mostly hockey (as far as sports) and have done what I consider to be in game portraits. The second one may not exactly be a portrait but it represents him so I'd think it could be considered one of his senior pictures.

I like darkroom work too, give me a tray of fixer any day. What I found shooting digitally is if I get a proper exposure I have little to no processing to do. Usually I do if shooting in low light where I need to brighten them up some, especially doing prints. Did you process these much? Whatever you did, works.

Looks like everything went right. That second one is nice!! I like that.

I don't know if the first one is considered a portrait but to me it is. And a darn good one. No wonder your son wanted you to take his senior pictures, the kid must have good judgement! I've done mostly hockey (as far as sports) and have done what I consider to be in game portraits. The second one may not exactly be a portrait but it represents him so I'd think it could be considered one of his senior pictures.

I like darkroom work too, give me a tray of fixer any day. What I found shooting digitally is if I get a proper exposure I have little to no processing to do. Usually I do if shooting in low light where I need to brighten them up some, especially doing prints. Did you process these much? Whatever you did, works.

The picture of the glove I cropped to what I thought looked the best and it was a little darker than I wanted so I lightened it up a little.

32222437_10204395527085516_1628345053942382592_n.jpg

This is another of the pictures that I took. I am using Luminar for post processing and I think I like it. I like the softer lighting that this image has. Tell me what you think.

I wish my dad and I had a relationship like you and your son :cold:

Good photo, though!!

Tell me what you think.

Think it's a memory you will cherish. I like the image, and concept. Only thing I might suggest from a personal preference is sharper focus on the face and a reflector to move a tad more light into the shadow side of the face.

Most reactions

Back