Senior Portrait Idea

Sw1tchFX

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This year, I might do some senior portraits for a little cash. However, I need input on how they should look. I really hate the cookie cutter senior portrait look. The soft look works great with women, but not so much with men (in my opinion). I want to do something that would make anyone look though the yearbook go, "wow, look at THAT."

The input I need is, would you buy something, or let your kids have portraits that looked like this?

DSC_0007_EDIT.jpg

DSC_0026_EDIT.jpg

The women would have a toned down version so their blemishes don't come out, but it would still have the same feel.

These are both self portraits, and I used a single SB-600 as the kicker in the first image, and the key light in the second.

A little harsh IMO. I kinda' like the look, but I'm not sure for seniors. You could always show them the options so they can choose or maybe they like that look if it's associated with something they're into, ie; sports, cars,etc. In any event, good luck in you endevours.

mkay. It's just I hate the soft look that mine had, and I can do both and everything in between, so ok.

Thanks for the input!

the eyes look way too unnatural in the first one, but they are very different and I like them

ok, thanks again for the feedback!

Haha, get feedback directly from your clients! I bet they'll love it. People love edgy looks, things in the magazine.

The issue is that you're not just asking for possible parents, but also photographers who have different approaches.

You could always present it as an option and let your client pick the style they want.

I like it! To me it looks like a magazine add. I hate cookie cutter., I do agree with asking the clients.. I personally wish when I was a senior my photog was edgy. Great job!

I like it. A lot of the seniors will like it because it's different but the parents are who buy. Include both the regular version and a rough draft version of the photo you manipulate. That way if the senior likes it, they'll convince mom to like it and you can charge extra to do the special effect.

I agree. I like what you're doing. 17-18 year old guys just don't look right with the soft blur processing. They should have a bit more skin texture in the face and some dramatic lighting helps too.

I just got done with a senior portrait shoot myself, and I purposely used more contrast and made him look a little more rugged. I can post a couple if it would help.

NJ

Here is kind of what I'm referring to. They are not exactly like yours, but you get the idea. I did almost no processing on the skin, except for cleaning up a couple of pimples. Normally, I do quite a bit of skin processing. The senior purposely gave me some very sober expressions, so he could have a few that were sort of dark. He loves these. His mom loves the color versions where he is smiling. Go figure...:) They havent ordered yet, but Im anxious to see what they will pick.

peter1_sepia.jpg

peter2_sepia.jpg

I like it! To me it looks like a magazine add. I hate cookie cutter., I do agree with asking the clients.. I personally wish when I was a senior my photog was edgy. Great job!

Yeah, I HATED my senior pictures. They looked soft, and as a result, looked feminine. Like I said, it works great for women, not really for men.

But yeah, the edgy part is what i'm hoping I can bank on. It's alot more fun, looks a ton more involved, and I think the seniors would like it's grittyness.
I like it. A lot of the seniors will like it because it's different but the parents are who buy. Include both the regular version and a rough draft version of the photo you manipulate. That way if the senior likes it, they'll convince mom to like it and you can charge extra to do the special effect.

That's a good idea,

I redid the eyes, so they don't look as bright. looks alot more convincing.

DSC_0007_EDIT_2.jpg

I agree. I like what you're doing. 17-18 year old guys just don't look right with the soft blur processing. They should have a bit more skin texture in the face and some dramatic lighting helps too.

I just got done with a senior portrait shoot myself, and I purposely used more contrast and made him look a little more rugged. I can post a couple if it would help.

NJ
Here is kind of what I'm referring to. They are not exactly like yours, but you get the idea. I did almost no processing on the skin, except for cleaning up a couple of pimples. Normally, I do quite a bit of skin processing. The senior purposely gave me some very sober expressions, so he could have a few that were sort of dark. He loves these. His mom loves the color versions where he is smiling. Go figure...:) They havent ordered yet, but Im anxious to see what they will pick.

peter1_sepia.jpg

peter2_sepia.jpg

That's exactly what i'm talking about. I hated how airy and light my senior images were, and I just think that senior guys would eat something like this up like what zendianah was saying, they'll convince their parents.

Hey I love the cold and hard look. Makes you look mean and tough. If I would do one thing different it is turn down the kicker. I find it draws way too much attention to itself. Only in the first one that is. In number two where it covers half the face it creates an interesting effect.

I'm a mom and I would definately let my son choose pics like those. I think that age group at the moment loves that type of thing. I have been dying to find a male model myself but then I think, when I do, what the heck will I do with him? LOL

Most reactions

New Topics

Back