Senior portrait session

jhermes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I shot my first senior portraits today with my friend AJ. Here are four photos from the shoot. This was my first time doing this sort of thing so I'm looking for criticism and tips. :)

Shot with Nikon d70 + Nikkor 50mm 1.8. Processed in Lightroom/Gimp. You can view EXIF details on the Flickr page.

AJ - 4

AJ - 3

AJ - 2 by John Hermesmann, on Flickr

AJ - 1 by John Hermesmann, on Flickr

Photo # 1: I like the colors lighting and depth of field here. The posing isn't bad but I wish I could see more of his face. I can't see any distinguishing features of the subject. Personally, I'd try this again with his face turned slightly more towards the camera.

Photo # 2: I find the positioning of the subjects face unflattering. You had the right idea trying to get a creative angle but I don't think this one works for him. The coloring seems off in the image, possible over-saturation in PP. I don't like the red tint around the edges at all.

Photo # 3: Great smile here, looks very natural. There appears to be some extra light int his photo that makes it look like his eye brows are glowing. You should be able to smooth this out in photoshop, if you have access to it. The branch in front of his face is distracting as well. Maybe some more light in his eyes as well (it looks like you might be able to do this in photoshop as well). This one has potential.

Photo # 4: This photo is a little dark for me and I wish I could see the entire trombone (the bottom is cut off by the railing). Posing looks very natural and I like the background texture.

Not bad for your first shoot. Keep at it!

I too like the last one. Really stands out from all the other senior shoots.

I don't quite understand the ones where his face isn't clearly visible. I mean I get it artistically, but as senior pictures they don't really work for me. I don't quite see the point of a senior picture where you can't tell who the person is. Is his natural coloring that red or is he one of those people who flushes easily? If his cheeks aren't that red ALL the time, I would tone the red in his face down a notch, because it gives off an "easily embarrassed" vibe and I think confidence is more what you're looking for in a masculine senior portrait. Some quick masking can take care of that.

AJ- 2 and AJ- 8 are great captures! I just wish one of them was in a portrait orientation!

AJ 5 is really unique :) nice shot!

Thank you!

I too like the last one. Really stands out from all the other senior shoots.

Thanks! I appreciate that a lot.

I don't quite understand the ones where his face isn't clearly visible. I mean I get it artistically, but as senior pictures they don't really work for me. I don't quite see the point of a senior picture where you can't tell who the person is. Is his natural coloring that red or is he one of those people who flushes easily? If his cheeks aren't that red ALL the time, I would tone the red in his face down a notch, because it gives off an "easily embarrassed" vibe and I think confidence is more what you're looking for in a masculine senior portrait. Some quick masking can take care of that.

AJ- 2 and AJ- 8 are great captures! I just wish one of them was in a portrait orientation!

I understand what you're saying. When I think about it, a portrait without a face, especially for a senior portrait, isn't worth too much. Also, his face is naturally that red. I wouldn't mind doing some retouching on it though. Can you explain quick masking or direct me somewhere where I can learn about it? I think I have a vague idea, but I'm not too sure.

New photo:

AJ - 10 by John Hermesmann, on Flickr

I like this one a lot.

You can learn about quick masking on various web sites on the internet, like YouTube.

If you're using Photoshop, open the program and click on "Help" and the Photoshop Help. Adobe has a bunch of tutorials for you to and there is Adobe TV too..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back