Senior Session

Trenton Romulox

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jeremygrayphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
All right, I did a senior session today. Due to my previous issues with skin tones, I decided to process one shot and then post it on here so I could figure out how to process the rest. This wasn't one of the best shots that I have, but it's a pretty decent, traditional one, I think. I will post the rest in this thread when I'm done processing them; but I wanted to see what I did good or bad with this shot's processing before investing more time in the same direction I started.
_DSC7857-Edit.jpg

So, hardcore critique is appreciated.

Thanks.

It's not bad; still a bit on the warm side (Are you shooting a white card as you go?). The biggest issue is the bright light image left. This is causing a blown spot on her forehead and a large bright area on the sidewalk behind her which is very distracting. The use of a diffuser to camera left would have helped greatly here, however I think a slightly different location would have been the best choice overall.

Yeah, I have a knack of making my images show a bit on the warm side. I don't know what it is with me and doing that.

Well, we were shooting in warm late afternoon light; but still, I make everything warmer. I don't get what my obsession with it is, haha. I really need to break the habit...

_DSC7888-Edit.jpg

There's another one, how is it?

There's something odd about that one; the light on her arms is very warm near the elbows, and much cooler toward her fingertips. I think the big issue here is to even out your exposure overall. In this case you've got very under-exposed background, and the subject herself ranges from very dark (lower legs) to good (upper body) however there seems to be a bit of a green caste on her face, possibly as a result of the green shirt and all the green background.

Jeremy - I really like the processing on these, I feel like you've given her a really pretty dreamy type environment withouth losing her in the process.

My only nit pic would be in your posing of the subject. As a rule of thumb, you never pose a woman square into the camera. It makes her look larger in the shoulders and hips, and no woman wants that!

It doesn't bother me as bad as it usually does here though, because she is quite petite. It doesn't make her look huge or anything, so I think you're okay!

I think you did a great job, she just looks great. I learned at a convention this weekend, that the 3 most important rules in photography are #1 make the women look beautiful, #2 make the females look beautiful, and #3 make the man pay!!!!!

So it looks like your shoot was a success!

Thanks Two Color. Posing has always been hard for me; I'd like to think every session I'm becoming a bit more conscientious of the model's subtleties. I'll get there someday!

Here's another one:
_DSC7904-Edit.jpg

I was going for something a bit different with this one.

I like this last one the best by far. Still gotta watch those hot spots.....bit of the forehead and hair on this one...

Overall very nice, I bet she loves them....

Did you do any skin smoothing or anything? Her facial skin looks really funny (in the 1st and 2nd ones more than the 3rd), and I think its contributing to the color problem. Would you be willing to post an unprocessed one so we could see the original exposure/wb? I think tweaking the color before you do your processing would make a big difference!

very pretty girl, but they all looked a little over done to me. I'm no pro so take it for what it is, just an opinion. I do like your composition though.

Hey Jeremy!! Long time no talk :)

I think these are awesome. Though, IMO, the first and last shots are a little too yellow to me, I think they def. look like YOU...make sense? The way you edit your photos is very unique to your style, and I think that's so important when trying to establish yourself as a photographer. I could easily pick these out of a group as being yours. So you rock for that :)

For some creative variety in senior shots (sorry for rambling), try bringing in the student's hoby in to the photo. For example, if she's really in to, say, photography (!), take some shots of her with her camera or of her taking pictures.

Ok, I'm done, awesome job! :)

Yeah, I have a knack of making my images show a bit on the warm side. I don't know what it is with me and doing that. ...I make everything warmer. I don't get what my obsession with it is, haha. I really need to break the habit...

Well, hold on there....

People ARE warm. And, a bit of extra warmth is desirable. I agree the first in the thread is just too yellow, but the second is fine, fine, fine.

Posing, however, needs a lot of attention... especially arms and hands. Somebody else said the last view is by far the strongest. I think it's because the posing isn't too far off. The hot background is a spoiler for me though.

You did a good job with the clothing selection.

All-in-all, you're headed in the right direction.

Good job!

-Pete

Thanks for the comments everyone. And Jaime, I'm really, really glad you said what you did. It means a lot to me. And Pete, I appreciate the encouraging comments and critiques; and I'll get to where I want to be someday soon, I think.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back