sensor cleaning 30D

ketan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,
First time I noticed a small light spot in my recent photos. On 1028x768 it will appear as 2mmx2mm faint like coffee stain.
I guess it is dust!
First I thought may be I will clean the uv on lens:blushing: but after changing the lens it is there.:hail:
It is circled in the photo below, not very clear as the background is dark.
Do you recommend that I should clean the sensor or must wait for some more to accumulate?
Is blowing effective?
Does it need to something at the time of cleaning that prevants some more getting in instead of cleaning?
Thanks
Ketan

Image05-1.jpg

Ketan- It sure looks like sensor dust to me. This normally shows up when using smaller apertures. Using a blower is very effective, however, there can still be stubborn particles that may require a cleaning. I have a couple that have been there since I purchased mine, they show up around F13 and smaller. I 've chosen to edit them out instead paying or cleaning myself.

A good tip to help keep dust out is to always keep the camera pointing down while changing lenses. This method has been very effective for me. I rarley have dust on my sensor other than the couple spots that have always been there.

to avoid any disappointment, depending on the kind of dust and air humidity, a blower might be totally useless. Actually it is most of the time.

pointing the camera downwards also only helps for heavier particles, but not really for dust since dust just moves with the air and gravity plays almost no role.

I would get familiar with wet cleaning methods, or with a speck grabber. easier than it sounds. just make sure you do not damage the shutter blades though.

It's only one spot, it would only take a second to clean that up in Photoshop.

but it is a rather large onem and if it was not in the structureless sky but in a delicate structure, then, in some scenes where it is clearly visible, it could be harder to correct.

also depends on how often you shoot with small apertures.

i have a wet cleaning kit and it works a treat! your 30D should have a manual cleaning setting in the menu, that locks up the shutter until you turn the camera off to prevent damage.

I read on several sites and almost went crazy. Some of the sites have listed down more than a dozen methods of cleaning, risks in doing this, precautions etc. Almost it made me feel like a neurosurgery.
I wish to do cleaning on battery when recommended method is power, therefore the question. Because power kit is not supplied with the camera.
Do you need to 'see' inside while blowing or wet swab or just do and close! Take snap and test...

I always do it on battery, but I make sure this is a fully loaded battery which feels well ...

You will not see any dust anyway, except those monster dust particles which can be blown away by the blower anyway. Most of the smaller dust is totally invisible.

However, you need to look while clening in ordre to not damage the shutter and in order to do the cleaning right.

as for the result, that can only be judged by an out of focus testshot of a uniformly lit surface at f/22

UAE is amazing... I called all large outlets. No one sells (including Canon dealers) good sensor cleaning liquid. Max what they have is rubber blower and some chinese liquid. I do not wish to take any chance.
If you can oblige me by pointing some items (exact product code / link) on Amazon then I will order including 'Rocket Blower' I read a lot about.
Thanks

Here is what I use:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Giottos-AA1900-Large-Rocket-Blaster/dp/B00017LSPI/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-5637424-9880855?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1188897305&sr=8-1[/ame]

My advice would be to leave the liquid sensor cleaning to the local camera shop. It's easy to do, but equally easy to mess up your sensor. One or two spots just don't seem to be worth the risk.

Good Luck

You mean you never neede liquid at all! :confused:
And you recommand that I use only a blower only? Then I will order only the blower.:D
In any case Amazon does not ship eclips here due to geographical restrictions.

Easy, it works. Follow the instructions to the letter and read them as you clean, the first couple of times. After that,it's not a problem and you won't damage your sensor, if you follow the instructions.

Easy test: clear sky, set the camera to f/22 aperture priority mode, take a picture. You can also take a picture of a blank monitor (white screen), out of focus and get the same results. If you take it in focus you may see spots on the screen and the matrix.

You'll see all the little dust bunnies that have attached themselves to your sensor.

You can use a high grade Methanol obtained locally. It isn't magic, or secret wizards solution. :mrgreen:

http://www.copperhillimages.com/index.php?pr=Tutorials

I bought the kit, with the bulb, spatula, and the Pec pads (and everything else) and had no ill effects, cleaning a couple of cameras, more than once. I have before and after photos around here someplace, if anyone wants to see.

It probably costs under $1 per cleaning. If it cost me $5 a cleaning... that's still about $20 a year. Who would want to pay the exorbitant rate to have it professionally done, meaning loss of the camera while it's in the shop, and 10X as much expense, when you can do it at home?

If you have a DSLR, sometimes factory new, you will probably have dust.
(from self cleaning test article) We started the test with an exhaustive manual sensor cleaning, since not all cameras arrived with entirely clean sensors.

The tutorial also has some information on the new self cleaning camera sensors.

The very basic method is, a lint free wipe. Minimal amount of cleaner (like one drop or maybe two), wipe one direction, flip the pad angle to the other side of the tip, wipe one time, throw the pad away!

Why someone who has an expensive camera would risk scratching the sensor, by scrimping on a 10 cent cleaning pad, I don't know. But it's that easy, and it's safe.

Problems could happen when people do not follow directions.

I am surprised that we do not get the branded cleaning swabs/liquids in this country... With all SLRs available not sure that how others are managing.
Still, I will continue my quest...
I called up Nikon showroom (though I own Canon). He said NEVER use blower nor liquid or anything. You are supposed to bring it to service centre. Blower will even blow the settled dust and you will have more dust than before!!!
I have started enjoying this...lol

ketan:

Order the Visible Dust kit that includes the Arctic Butterfly. Yes, there's lots of precautions, but it's not very difficult.

However: a few spots will always be there. This was no different with film. Learn to remove them in Photoshop. It's simpler.

ketan:

Order the Visible Dust kit that includes the Arctic Butterfly. Yes, there's lots of precautions, but it's not very difficult.

However: a few spots will always be there. This was no different with film. Learn to remove them in Photoshop. It's simpler.

I read this (dry) method is rated lower than wet method!

http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/

"The drawback to this method is that you are using the same surface to physically touch the low pass filter over and over again.. Does not work on "Welded Dust". Not guaranteed* by its manufacturer to not damage your sensor."

Most reactions

Back