Sensor cleaning? Got a couple dirt specks

maulrat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Should I have my sensor cleaned? I've noticed some dust on my photos in the skies for a couple months now. Today, I just noticed 3 specks of dirt when looking through my view finder; solid black dots. I removed my lens and lightly blew air into the body using a baby nose mucus sucker thingy but nothing too rough. I didn't lockup my mirror of had the sensor exposed or anything. This did not help. I can still see these specks. I know they are not on my lens because when I change lenses, the speck are still viewable through my viewfinder. I just purchased a sensor cleaning kit. I know and will be super extremely careful when cleaning my sensor. I just wish I knew, if these specks are really on my sensor or somewhere else. I've cleaning my view finder thuroughly on the outside. When the camera is off, I can still see these dust specks through my view finder. Thanks for all help and suggestions.

Should I have my sensor cleaned? I've noticed some dust on my photos in the skies for a couple months now.
Ever thought about cleaning the sensor yourself? I clean my own sensors (Canon XTi, 40D and 5D) using the Copper Hill Method.
Today, I just noticed 3 specks of dirt when looking through my view finder; solid black dots.
If you see the specs in your viewfinder, the dust/dirt is on the focusing screen or the mirror (most likely the focusing screen)...you won't see dust that is on your lens or the sensor through the viewfinder.
I removed my lens and lightly blew air into the body using a baby nose mucus sucker thingy but nothing too rough.
You might want to get a large Rocket Blower since it blows filtered air through the nozzle. Don't use the snot sucker anymore.
This did not help. I can still see these specks. I know they are not on my lens because when I change lenses, the speck are still viewable through my viewfinder.
Take a close look at the focusing screen and the mirror. Don't touch the mirror whatever you do. If everything looks clean you may have dust/dirt on the inside of the focusing screen.
I just purchased a sensor cleaning kit. I know and will be super extremely careful when cleaning my sensor.
You'll get the sensor dust with the sensor cleaning kit, but dust in the viewfinder is somewhere else. Remove your lens hold the camera upside down and check the focusing screen (the white translucent looking thing that the mirror is pointing at.

Thanks Samanax. I'll have to check this out when I get home. It probably isn't the mirrior because I remember checking it last night. It's probably on the focusing screen. If blowing air doesn't remove the spec, is the sensor cleaning kit safe for cleaning the mirror and the focusing screen? I purchased this earlier.

Sensor Cleaining Kit, Type 2

I sure hope it gets here before my shoot this weekend.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks Samanax. I'll have to check this out when I get home. It probably isn't the mirrior because I remember checking it last night. It's probably on the focusing screen. If blowing air doesn't remove the spec, is the sensor cleaning kit safe for cleaning the mirror and the focusing screen? I purchased this earlier.

Sensor Cleaining Kit, Type 2

I sure hope it gets here before my shoot this weekend.
Not sure if I would use it on the focusing screen. I think the screen is made of plastic and alcohol can damage plastic. E2 uses 3 different kinds of alcohol. I wouldn't even try to wipe the focusing screen to keep from scratching the surface. I would just use a Giottos Rocket Blower or just learn to live with the spots.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I would just use a Giottos Rocket Blower or just learn to live with the spots.

That's my plan as of now. I've done a little research on the net. It seem this screen can be changed if you mess it up but I don't need another headache. If the rocket blower won't get it out, then I'll probably just leave it since I don't see the specks in my photos. The less messing around inside my camera body, the better off I'm gonna be.(imo)

Most reactions

Back