Sensor Cleaning

macdsean

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a Nikon D50 and have been using it for a couple of years. Recently I have noticed some small black dots in all my photos in the exact same place. After some research I found that is caused by dust on the sensor.

Used a small air puffer to attempt to clean it and it removed most of the dust and spots. One tiny piece of dust is left and it won't seem to go away. Please provide me with safe suggestions on how to remove the last bit of dust. Thanks.

Can you be more specific about how to do a wet cleaning? I know various kits exist but it is all very overwhelming. Most importantly, I don't want to do anything that damages the sensor. Thanks.

Alright. I was hoping someone could give me some advice on how to do it myself safely. But maybe taking it in to a camera store is the way to go. If anyone else has other alternatives, please let me know. Thanks.

Check this site out :)

http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/

I got a DSLR sensor brush which got rid of nearly all of the dust that was held on by static that wouldnt come off with air.

Just a note also that oil droplets can also cause what looks like dust marks (oil from shutter & AF lenses) those would require a wet clean as something like a sensor brush will end up possibly smearing it across the sensor.

Great. Thanks for the information.

I use the Eclipse system in that lik to clean mine. Almost any camera store should have it in stock with the E2 drops. It is really easier than you think. Also you are cleaning the sensor filter and, not the sensor itself.

I went and got mine professionally cleaned. It seems expensive but I figured that it's not a thing you have to do very often at all, (3 years for me) and getting it done professionaly seemed like the logical choice.

However if you think you are comfortable enough doing it yourself, then I would recommend the Eclipse system.

I went and got mine professionally cleaned. It seems expensive but I figured that it's not a thing you have to do very often at all, (3 years for me) and getting it done professionaly seemed like the logical choice.

However if you think you are comfortable enough doing it yourself, then I would recommend the Eclipse system.

I have to say I myself am a little hesitant at trying a wet clean, even though I've done the brush stuff etc. I got a price here from a place for doing a clean and it was $80aus - The DSLR brush cost me approx $42 posted from interstate (couldn't find any places near here that sold them they were all "Oh no don't touch the sensor....") and at least I can use the sensor brush more than once etc so It's worked out way cheaper than the $80 i was quoted.

We had only had the camera about 2 months I think when i noticed all the dust (and one spot i think was a oil droplet). It's interesting cause I found an article on the net about a 400D that the sensor was really dusty when it was brand new - so makes me wonder if the dust had actually been in mine since then also and it was only picked up once I started using really small appetures.

I still have a real faint smear mark (cause of the oil droplet) cause of using the brush but it's so negligible can hardly see it over F22 that I'm not worrying about wet cleaning it at pres.

If I ever do need to wet clean it I'll probably do it myself to save money though :D

First of all remember you're not cleaning the sensor; you're cleaning the high-pass filter in front of the sensor. In fact, it's a relativel difficult thing to damage.

Wet cleaning is a last resort, only because it can leave streaks which are difficult to get rid of. You would actually have to deviate from the instructions a lot to do any real damage.

I personally recommend Visible Dust's Arctic Butterfly. It's a little pricey at about USD $90.00, it has never failed to remove whatever was stuck to my sensor.

http://www.visibledust.com/

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Had similar problem to macdsean.

Locking up mirror and using air blower didn't do the trick.

No one in town carries or recommends using a brush for cleaning the sensor filter.

The eclipse pre-moistened Sensor Swab, type 3, from Photographic Solutions worked well. 6.95 USD here in Albuquerque. Required using two. Swipe downward, and without lifting off the sensor filter, swiping upward. One pass each direction. The package recommends using firm enough pressure to bend the stick.

I think I'm going to keep the used sticks, remove the pre-moistened towelettes, and order dry towelettes with the eclipse solution for the future, if this becomes a recurring phenomenon. Good thing we don't get much dust here in the desert Southwest. :mrgreen:

If I don't have to do this too often to my 40D, $14 USD seems a fair price to get my sensor filter back up to snuff.

(Our local camera store also wanted $80 to do the job for me.)

Take it to an authorized service center and they'll give your whole camera a major cleaning and once-over for like $75. Highly recommended and no risk to you since they're authorized.

I'm all for DIY but I'm kinda twitchy about horsing around with the sensor.

Most reactions

Back