Sensor cleaning

Your best guess is to take the camera to your authorized dealer. Sensor's are easy to screw up and expensive to replace which means its a bad combination to your POCKET, my local Nikon dealer offers 3 years of free sensor/dust cleaning of the camera body! I surgest you don't attempt anything yourself.

I travel a lot and don't always have that option. Thats why I was looking to do it myself while away from home.

Last edited:
I use a speck grabber from Kinetronics for 6 years now. Never had any problems.

I get the sensor 100% clean in about 10 to 15 minutes ... it is quite an effort though as you always have to check the success by taking an out of focus image after each cleaning cycle, zoom in, find areas which are still dirty, clean them, and repeat until happy. It takes some training though. Also you have to clean the speck grabber, every 2nd or 3rd cycle. While the camera is open, I do look away from it, so I would not breathe into it. Also let the sensor point downwards.

I do this also while travelling, such as when living in a tiny tent for weeks. Recently I switched to a similar device from a japanese company, have to check which is was. This one has a larger sticky area, so it takes less cleaning cycles to clean the whole sensor area.

I was considering either Delkin or Lenspen. I don't touch it if it doesn't need it. I've got some sky pictures with quite a few speckes on it though.

I use a dry lenspen sensor cleaner and blower. I find results good if you take a lot off time and keep taking samples as before mentioned. I find the best way to find dust location with samples is to shoot a white poster board with flash at full power. also, underexposing the image usually helps.

Your best guess is to take the camera to your authorized dealer. Sensor's are easy to screw up and expensive to replace which means its a bad combination to your POCKET, my local Nikon dealer offers 3 years of free sensor/dust cleaning of the camera body! I surgest you don't attempt anything yourself.

No they aren't

No they aren't

for those who are challenged it may be. I've met folks who screw up light bulbs while replacing them....
bigthumb.gif

I disagree, I have cleaned several... and if proper care is taken, it is very difficult to do anything wrong. You aren't actually cleaning the sensor anyway, but the filter over the sensor.

I need to get mine cleaned. No dust yet and I've checked but I use the rocket blower for a couple of minutes and the sensor self cleaning mode too .

Most reactions

New Topics

Back