Sensor cleaning

randrx2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Well, I thought I would tackle cleaning my sensor (after 2 years of use) with some alcohol and lens wipes wrapped around a qtip, but the best I could get it clean to was this:
2007_05_10_Before.jpg

believe it or not the sensor was worse than this before, but I do not have the photo.

After I got the right cleaning equipment, I got to this:
2007_05_10_After2.jpg

I used Eclipse Optic Cleaning System solution and Sensor Swab.

Very easy to do. Just wet the wipe, swipe the sensor, flip the swab and swipe again.

Well, I thought I would tackle cleaning my sensor with some alcohol and lens wipes wrapped around a qtip,

Whoever told you to use that must really hate you ...

Very easy to do. Just wet the wipe, swipe the sensor, flip the swab and swipe again.

well, and now you can use a speck grabber to hunt those remaining few specks ....

holy crap, how the heck did you get your sensor THAT dirty?

I personally use windex and my shirt, or a paper towel. :mrgreen:

some people may remember how i had a heck of a time cleaning my sensor, my advice, buy one of those compressed air cans but be careful not to get moisture on the senor, but yea if it just dust and not heavy dirt the can should do the trick. the wet cleaning took me about 5 5times to get right, so if you have any doubts get someone to help you because i was freaking out for like a week and a half when i couldn't get mine clean

some people may remember how i had a heck of a time cleaning my sensor, my advice, buy one of those compressed air cans but be careful not to get moisture on the senor, but yea if it just dust and not heavy dirt the can should do the trick. the wet cleaning took me about 5 5times to get right, so if you have any doubts get someone to help you because i was freaking out for like a week and a half when i couldn't get mine clean

NEVER, repeat NEVER use compressed air. All you do is blow dust around and back onto the sensor and if you get it sprayed with liquid you are in bother......

Use the Eclipse fluid and the right sized sensor swabs. Very easy. You might not get it 100% clean but the above looks ok.

To check how dirty your sensor is, just point it at a light coloured wall and shoot at f22 (or your camera's smallest aperture). Doesn't matter if you use a tripod or not as the dust stays in the same place even if the camera moves and the wall does not need to be in focus.

Dust city :)

changing lenses in one single summer storm can do the job ...

That's why you change it underneath a cloth or something to at least shield it.

sorry about that my error

I've seen some horror stories.... :) Be careful when cleaning. Maybe use a normal rocket blower first. That might get rid of some of the dust before doing the eclipse fluid and sensor swipes.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back