Sensor damage... ebay issues! HELP!

Becky

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I recently sold my Canon 30D on eBay... I now have a buyer saying there is a smudge, not dust, but a smudge in the corner of the sensor. Now I have only ever blown air into the camera with a giottos rocket blower... it wasn't even used that much recently and when I last used it properly the photos were crystal clear. Further to that I thoroughly cleaned the body of the camera and checked the sensor for dust before I sent it off.

This person is now telling me that upon receiving the camera they took some test photos and noticed a big smudge in the corner... I'm pretty bloody sure I'd have noticed it too...!

I'm not sure that they knew not to touch the sensor, as from their emails I get the impression they might not know the workings of an slr camera too well... so I'm reckoning they must have poked at the sensor or something? Maybe an oily fingertip?

Regardless, they are suggesting sending the camera for professional cleaning and in good faith I have offered to pay half... however I'm a bit concerned that if they have done some serious damage they'll be billing me for half a new sensor charge, which I sure as hell ain't paying. :grumpy:

I've never had to send a body off for cleaning of any sort and only ever had a dust problem on a previous camera which I removed with air being too chicken to physically clean the sensor... I'm convinced this camera was spotless!!

Just wondering is it likely to be serious damage? A smudge to me sounds more like a substance on the sensor as opposed to an actual abrasion, and I know dSLRs have a clear glass coating over the actual sensor. In this sense I'm hoping its just something that can be cleaned off rather than needing replacing...

Tell me what I want to hear people... please?

Well smudge is definitely sounding much more promising then a scratch! It might be as simple as using a sensor cleaner such as Visible Dust (a product) to clean it, and all will be well again.

Yeh I did suggest to them that most people just clean it themselves rather than send it off... I'm just horrified at the thought of selling a great camera in immaculate condition and next thing it could be getting its guts replaced! Even needing professional cleaning seems overboard to me when I know it was fine, but I can't prove to them it wasn't my fault same as they can't prove it wasn't theirs... argh

request a picture to illustrate what he's talking about?

I have done...apparently he'll send it in a day or two hmmm...

I dunno... sounds fishy to me. I think you've done the right thing by offering to pay half of the cleaning.

Becky, it sounds like you are being very nice about the situation since you offered to pay half. Remember, the only guarantees are the ones you gave in your ad, otherwise there are none.

If you think this guy is trying to screw you, get the average cost of a pro cleaning and tell the buyer you will pay half of that amount. Just to limit your liability.

If you haven't posted your feedback yet, don't. Take the hit on his rating of you as a seller then explain in your feedback.

I wouldn't worry. Won't do any good. You have his money and he has your camera. The deal is done.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back