Sensors getting.....smaller?

4/3 == 4/3

" The new format, called the Micro Four Thirds System, would make digital SLR cameras thinner and lens units smaller than those based on the existing Four Thirds System."

Why is it smaller then? Interesting...

4/3 is a ratio, not a crop factor. The dimensions of the sensor will be smaller. Currently the olympus crop factor is 2x. That's why their 25mm lens is 50mm in 35mm standards. The micro 4/3 sensor is still going to be 4/3, but will be smaller. It will allow the mirror to be smaller, so the lens can fit closer to the sensor, etc.

Huh? I thought 4/3 was a size. Four thirds of an inch or 1.333 inches. If it was a ratio why don't they write it: 4:3 or 4|3 as they should?

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0808/08080501microfourthirds.asp

".. The Micro Four Thirds system uses the same sensor size (18 x 13.5 mm) but allows slimmer cameras by removing the mirror box and optical viewfinder. ..."

Sounds like they are taking a page from Pentax's 70-80's playbook.

i have always wondered when the advanced/high end P&S market produce a P&S (Canon G9 like) with interchangable lenses. Perhaps my miscalculllation was that they aren't going to make P&S camera more DSLR like but DLSRs more P&S like.

No mirror? Does that mean its not an SLR anymore?
dpreview.com says "The format will require framing to be carried out using Live View on either the LCD monitor or an EVF"

Weird, an advanced point and shoot with a huge lens...

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0808/08080501microfourthirds.asp

".. The Micro Four Thirds system uses the same sensor size (18 x 13.5 mm) but allows slimmer cameras by removing the mirror box and optical viewfinder. ..."

Sounds like they are taking a page from Pentax's 70-80's playbook.

i have always wondered when the advanced/high end P&S market produce a P&S (Canon G9 like) with interchangable lenses. Perhaps my miscalculllation was that they aren't going to make P&S camera more DSLR like but DLSRs more P&S like.

That's very very weird. So, the camera system is smaller, not necessarily the 4/3 sensor.

If the EVF is even as good as my Minolta A2 I'll like it MUCH better any of the dSLR pentaprisms I've used! :thumbup:

I think in a few years time most dSLRs will have a EVF. They're cheeper to make, better to use, remove the lame mirror that limits the camera's actuational life-span and again reduces costs, and brings these beasts into full compatibility with Live View and the coming wave of video acquisition!

That's very very weird. So, the camera system is smaller, not necessarily the 4/3 sensor.

It's skinnier. ;)

I'm still relatively sure that 4/3 is a size.

One reason why I went to SLR was to get away from LCDs... One big thing is you can use it when the battery is off! If you want to kind of play around and compose beforehand, with the camera off...

No AF, no AE, no light meter, not useful (for me) at all.

Most reactions

Back