Sensuous Steel

SCraig

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
sc-photo-tn.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Not my name, but the name of the exhibit at the Frist Center for the Visual Arts here in Nashville. "Sensuous Steel" is an exhibit of uber-collectible automobiles from the 20's through the 40's. These are not something you'll see on the street at any time. Delahaye, Cord, Pierce-Arrow, Hispano-Suiza, these are the cream of the cream.

I'm pretty disappointed with my photographs. The ambient lighting was absolutely horrible and flash was absolutely forbidden (with security guards everywhere to ensure that rule was adhered to). Theatrical flood lights mounted on the ceiling absolutely guaranteed harsh reflections on top with areas of deep shadow below. I was shooting at ISO 800 with varying aperture and shutter speed, but sometimes was down as low as f/4 with 1/15 second. Plus, there were so many people that a tripod was completely out of the question and I didn't have my monopod with me. I'm not sure they would have allowed either though. Trying to keep most of the people out of the frames explains the tight crops to.

The exhibit runs through September 15 so I plan on going back, but next time it will be on a weekday when there should be fewer people there.

Here are about half and there are more, along with a few detail shots, on my web site at This Page.

1937 Delahaye 135MS Roadster

2013-06-22-01.jpg

1929 Cord L-29 Cabriolet
2013-06-22-07.jpg

1930 Jordan Model Z Speedway Ace Roadster
2013-06-22-14.jpg

1934 Packard Twelve Model 1106 Sport Coupe
2013-06-22-34.jpg

1938 Hispanno-Suiza H6 Dubonnet “Xenia” Coupe
2013-06-22-36.jpg

1933 Pierce-Arrow Silver Arrow Sedan
2013-06-22-39.jpg

I'd commit murder to have either of the last two in my stable...:lol:

love these, beautiful! and love the title you gave to the thread. :)

Nice. I would definitely clone out guy in picture 1.

I sure as Hades wouldn't scrap any of 'em for leaking oil on my drive-way!

Nor would I! It could leak all it wanted as long as I got to drive it from time to time.

I'd commit murder to have either of the last two in my stable...:lol:

I can relate! Sadly even if I did have one I have no place to park it. Ah, heck, a minor detail to be worked out ;)

love these, beautiful! and love the title you gave to the thread. :)

Thanks, glad you like them. I can't take credit for the name though, that is the name of the exhibit.

Nice. I would definitely clone out guy in picture 1.

Not worth the effort. I don't like the composition or all the specular highlights or anything. I'm going to go back and take the shot again during the week when (hopefully) there are only a few people there and I can use a tripod and a CPL to get rid of some of the highlights.

Most reactions

Back