Sent back my 50mm f/1.4, ordered 50mm f/1.8

luvmyfamily

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I got my lens, but before i even got it, I did some research. The f/1.4 was more expensive, however seemed to be a tad better lens than the f/1.8. To save money, I sent it back because while waiting for delivery, I was slapping myself when the f/1.8 seems to do close to the same thing. I'm frugal...what can I say.

The key differences you'll notice when using the 50mm f/1.8 vs the f/1.4

Worse build quality on the 1.8
No Ultrasconic motor on the f/1.8 (USM), so it will be slower to focus
Worse rendition of bokeh when the lens is stopped down starting roughly at f/2.2 due to the 5 aperture blades, vs the 8 in the f/1.4 version.
Plastic lens mount on the 1.8
Additional 2/3rd stops of light on the f/1.4 version

So besides those differences, it's the same lens.

Worse rendition of bokeh when the lens is stopped down starting roughly at f/2.2 due to the 5 aperture blades, vs the 8 in the f/1.4 version.

Encouraging :) I read the reviews and thought this would be a great starter lens for a fairly newbie like me. I'm a cheapskate...I know....

Encouraging :) I read the reviews and thought this would be a great starter lens for a fairly newbie like me. I'm a cheapskate...I know....

Well, it all depends on personal preference. I bought the 50mm f/1.4 for basically all the reasons that I mentioned in my post, and skipped the f/1.8.

It's okay to be a cheapskate in some aspects of photography, just remember that you get the quality that you pay for.

luvmyfamily said:

Still better then buying both of them! ;)

I own the 50 f/1.8, and it's a great lens for the price, but there is a noticeable difference in image quality between it and the f/1.4 up to like f/2.8 or so. The 1.4 gets sharper much quicker!You will probably NOT notice a difference as you probably shouldn't be shooting at anything less than 2.8

Shoulda got the 1.2L....Actually, I rented the 1.2L last week and most of the pictures focused within 4 feet were back focused. Seems to be a common issue with the 50L's. I compared it to the Nikon 50 1.4, and the 1.4 actually performed equally well in most cases. I doubt the canon one would be any different.

The main advantage of the EF 50mm f/1.8 is cost. I used to own the version II, then version I and then now the f/1.4.

As o hey tyler mentioned, the extra money mainly goes to build quality, out of focus blur quality and wider aperture. (And a little faster and quieter AF).

Out of focus blur quality and wider aperture was the main reason I jump from the mk1 version to f/1.4. But the f/1.8 version II is still a good lens for what it worth.

I have both the Nikkor Ai-S F1.2 50mm and AF-D F1.4.... I don't know man, I just like to stare through the glass with the blades wide open like a big eye staring right back at me. I think I can kill ants if I get it under the sun.

BTW while I also don't usually go below F2.2, it's still a feel-good thing.

The main advantage of the EF 50mm f/1.8 is cost. I used to own the version II, then version I and then now the f/1.4.

As o hey tyler mentioned, the extra money mainly goes to build quality, out of focus blur quality and wider aperture. (And a little faster and quieter AF).

Out of focus blur quality and wider aperture was the main reason I jump from the mk1 version to f/1.4. But the f/1.8 version II is still a good lens for what it worth.

That is what I got was version II

I have the 50mm 1.8 and got it mostly due to the cost just like you mentioned. I tried a 1.4 and the only thing that I miss is the USM. The 50mm 1.8 autofocuses slow sometimes in low light and is pretty noisy. The 1.4 is quick to focus. Compare the focus speed of your kit lens to the 1.8 and you'll see what I am talking about.

Other than that, you most likely won't notice much difference in image quality at this stage of photography. I am still getting used to my 1.8 and I have had it for over 2 years.

I've had two 50mm 1.8 IIs. They both broke. For some reason the whole front end likes to drop out on them. Don't expect them to take any form of wear and tear; they'll just break. The noisy autofocus is also horrific, not quite as bad as on the 50mm Macro but it's still noisy compared to a USM.

I've got the 50mm 1.4 now, so far it has outlasted both of the 1.8s. The only issue I have is the commonly reported gritty feeling focus ring. I haven't noticed any serious improvements in image quality, the 1.8 II still produces sharp images, but the extra 2/3 of light great to have. I do admit that the 1.4 still feels quite cheap, mainly when you've been using L lenses for the whole afternoon, but it's a massive step-up from the 1.8.

Did you use the 1.4 before you returned it?

Should have kept it, IMO...

Did you use the 1.4 before you returned it?

Should have kept it, IMO...

If I would have taken it out of the box, opened it, used it, I would not have been able to send it back. So are you saying my kit lens is better?

Most reactions

Back