Sepia filters

jim44

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A friend years ago took some portraits that looked like they were 100 years old. This was pre-digital. Can the same effect be gotten from just a sepia filter? If so, are there different sepia filters? Thanks for any info.

A friend years ago took some portraits that looked like they were 100 years old. This was pre-digital. Can the same effect be gotten from just a sepia filter? If so, are there different sepia filters? Thanks for any info.

Why would you want to use a filter with a digital camera?

now you can just recreat that sepia effect on almost any modern photo editing programs

Sepia was done in post processing if I remember correctly. Did your friend develop his own film? Or ask his lab to develop in speia?

Never done sepia myself but if I remember correctly it was done at the print level. Don't know if there is such a thing as a sepia filter but it can be done in pp which is better anyway.

Never done sepia myself but if I remember correctly it was done at the print level. Don't know if there is such a thing as a sepia filter but it can be done in pp which is better anyway.
There were sepia filters back in the film days but I don't know how well they worked.

Sepia toning was and is a simple process of chemically altering the image of a b&w print. It is alive and well, thank you. Works best with the warm-tone papers. Selective toning of the image can produce interesting effects.

Digitally, you would go about it by going from a full-color image to something approaching b&w and then adding back in a brownish hue.

As Torus34 said, true sepia was done in the post process back in the digital days, however, there was a light brown filter that weakly worked some, back in the film days.

Today, this is totally useless. With post processing, one can do a million variations of sepia in post process to taste.

3878903085_ce4e9c995f.jpg

Thanks for all the info. I use Photoshop but haven't been able to figure out how to accomplish the sepia effect. If all the color is removed, that's the ball game.

some place in the back of my mind i remember a filter called tobacco. basically , used for color, which , gave a "sepia" sort tone.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back