September 11. Where were you?

My baby was 5 months old at the time.....I spent so much time telling her how sorry I was that I brought her into this horrible world.

But still, the world is as it ever was. Causes and scales have changed a bit maybe, but not things in principle.

There were times and places in Europe not too long ago, where the terror threat was quite high for the individual, e.g. more than 500 British troops were killed in Northern Irish terror, not to speak of civilian losses.

And then, a bit more than half a century ago, we are talking of many millions left dead by war in Europe and Russia. I think those times were definitely worse for a baby to be born. Nevertheless many of those fomer babies have grown up and live quite happily today.

I was working in my darkroom. I had the radio on. I heard about the first plane and came in the house and turned on the TV. I watched as the second plane hit the tower. Right after that, all the power went off in the neighborhood, which freaked out a lot of people.

I have a very small, Casio hand-held color TV that I carry in my camera bag. I got it out and put some batteries in it and watched the local news about the event until power was restored about 30 minutes later.

well... then I was in school...it was after midday here and I came back from school and found the whole family (parents and grandparents) at home, staring at the tv with a kind of shock on their faces.... then we spent the whole night trying to call my grandma's brother who lived in US, and ask about his family there (some of them worked in NY).

hugs

Wow, thinking and reading everyones stories gives me the shivers..

I was in 6th grade and before school was let out they took our grade into the gym and told us what happened. Being young I didnt realize how serious it was...and after school as everyone waited to get picked up me and friends were with my little brother and his friends telling them about it. They were like, haha what are you talking about, woa thats so cool, the twin towers blew up!...and yea how stubborn and ignorant you are when you are young...lol

But I still remember that day. It was about a week after school started, on a Wednesday. My mom cut out all the pages from magazines and newspapers about it to keep it. My dad worked in Manhattan day, next to the Chrysler Building. He had a great view of the Towers, and took pics of it when it was hit. He has a pic of the first one burning as the plane was about to hit the other...

Being Japanese, I sometimes felt out of place singing the national anthem, but now being 17, older and smarter, I feel proud to be an American, yet without losing my Japanese pride. But American or not, NYC is diverse. Living in NY, I was proud to be a New Yorker, and was proud to wear my NY Yankees hat in Boston when I went about a month later.

I saw "Inside the Twin Towers" on the Discovery Channel on TV the other day. Gave me the shivers. Being a 17 year old guy, i must admit, as tough as i think i am, i gave a tear lol.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back