Serial numbers

photong

Typo Queen
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I want to record all me serial numbers. Where are they on my lenses? I can't see any. Are they even there lol? I have all Canon lenses except one. And I see one number on the mount but that’s it.

I don’t know where the number is for my Canon AE1. I see numbers on the top with the 'film advancement lever' (ii think). Is that it? I thought it was on the bottom of the camera. There's nothing there. I know my camera has one, I just don’t know where. hehe.

I got the one on my light meter, FinePix A303 and my flash. I think that's it. I should prolly record everything I have in general just in case.

How often do people really think to do this and it helps?

Thank you! :):)

The numbers should be on your guarantee cards. But they are usually easy to find.
Your insurance company likes you to have them so you can quote them if anything is stolen to prove you had it in the first place.
In practice if they are nicked the chances of the police ever finding them again.....
Repair shops are supposed to check them to see if they are stolen too. But in practice they tend not to because a) it's a fag and b) a lot of cameras have only been 'reported' stolen so the owners can get the insurance. A few pros to my knowledge have done this when money was tight. Repair shops would loose a lot of customers.
You also are supposed to record the serial numbers for customs if you take the kit out of the country. For professionals on assignments this is obligatory and you use a carnet form (these are murder to complete). I think customs is afraid that all pros are secret camera smugglers (they are but they hide the cameras inside the drug shipments - customs never looks there....)

That dones't help me. I dont have any cards of any kind :(

They will be on the lenses and cameras somewhere. They are 6 or 8 digit numbers and right next to 'made in...'
Usually on the front of the lens. My Olympus 35mm lens has 'OLYMPUS OM-SYSTEM ZUIKO AUTO-W 35mm 1:2.8 2xxxx6 Japan' around the front element. 2xxxx6 is the serial number. On the base plate of my OM it says 'MADE IN JAPAN 3xxxx4'. Again the number is the serial. There is no standard place for them - you just have to hunt around. But they always put them where they are easy to see.
Does that help more?

awesome! THANK YOU! ill go check my stuff later! :)

And sometimes SN on the lenses are engraved on the retaining ring that holds the first (external) lens element. Usually it describes the lens maker and its characteristics (f number and focal length) and displays the SN.

I just looked at my canon lenses... It's on the end of the lens (the part that goes in the camera) just around the ring next to the glass... It should say canon Inc. then the number...

Thank you, i found them all! I can't believe I over looked them so easily! I looked and looked and...I just didn't see them. But I got it this tome! thank you!

Most reactions

Back