series idea?

brighteyesphotos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.brighteyesphotos.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am tossing an idea around for a series. I would be shooting in black and white film, processing and printing them myself in the darkroom. I would also shoot some of the set ups with my digital camera for color and filing purposes.

So how does this sound? A single shoe in a seemingly random location but somehow the shoe and its location says something about the person who left it there. IE, a kids' shoe underneath a swing or near a slide, a ladies shoe in the middle of the road, a bum's shoe near the railroad.

I came up with a corny title of "Lonely Soles." :greenpbl: Not sure if it works or what. So here is a couple examples of what I would be doing.

DSC01460.jpg

DSC01444.jpg

Please keep in mind, I just grabbed one of my boots and will be using other shoes and boots for this series. Also these two pictures are unedited. I did not do anything with the lighting or cropping. I only took these for my own files and purposes. These are probably not the ones I would print for a color version of the series. Or they may. I don't know just yet. I do have my Dad's old firefighting boot (they're beat up). My ex will be letting me use his combat boots. I have plenty of kids' shoes and I can dig into my sister, mom, dad and probably Grandma's closet for other shoes. So I will have a nice variety. So corny, potential, or what?

Sounds like a cool idea. I really think the difference between corny and cool will be how you shoot the pic and how creative you get the set up of the shot. When you said "firefighter boot" I immediately thought seeing that in a pile of ash would look cool. So... yeah I think the idea has potential.

rmh159 said:
Sounds like a cool idea. I really think the difference between corny and cool will be how you shoot the pic and how creative you get the set up of the shot. When you said "firefighter boot" I immediately thought seeing that in a pile of ash would look cool. So... yeah I think the idea has potential.

I was going to ask my dad to see if he can get me into a house that recently burnt. So I was thinking one set up would be the boot with the helmet in the background nearby, not entirely in the frame and the burnt wood behind it all. Another idea I had was the boot on the firetruck but it would be so out of place since the boot is beat up and dirty and they keep their trucks shiny clean.

I'll share other photos as I work on it and you guys can vote corny or creative.

craig said:
I think it is a creative idea. Go for it. Have to say that these seem like the shoe was just plopped in the frame. Dig deep. Consider that shoes have personality.

these were taken for example use only. I have several frames I shot with film and will be scanning in these shortly. Out of 75 frames so far, I think 3 are definites and two are possibles. The rest are well... artifical. I will share my favorites next week. I won't have access to the film scanner until Monday.

I saw a single shoe in the subway the other day and that reminded me of this thread!

pascal

for some reason an old boot in the middle of a road comes to mind.
maybe it's because I happen to notice random shoes on the road all the time for some reason.
Where I'm from (small town in the prairies of canada) theres a fence that is like a shrine for old shoes or something. Driving along the highway you see that every fence post has a shoe or boot on top of it.
Down south theres a fence line that did this with hats.

err. im rambling. i really like the idea.

Most reactions

Back