Seriously Every D600? Oil Issue? Really?

promyth3us

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is this just some over hyped up marketing attack on Nikon? Does every single D600 even D7000 have this terrible Oil Dust Issue?

I was reading about this on another forum yesterday! Supposedly its a really common issue :/

No, it is not true. There have been some reports of oil on D600 sensors however I have never heard of the problem on a D7000 sensor. I know for certain that my D7000 has never had any issue with oil on the sensor, nor do I recall hearing anyone here report anything similar. Even with the D600 the number of reports of oil compared to the hundreds of thousands of bodies they have manufactured is pretty minor.

Even if it is true, so what? Cleaning the sensor takes about 10 minutes tops. Clean it and move on. Cleaning a sensor is a fact of life with ANY DSLR. If you shoot with one you are going to have to learn to clean a sensor at some point or spend a lot of time and money sending it in for cleaning.

Could be. Seems, though, the early viral kvetching about the D7000's AF issues mostly stemmed from failure to read the book in the box. The D600's problems appear different and possibly baked-in.

I own two of 'em... one factory new and one factory refurb. Neither has an issue.

Keep in mind, not everything you read on the innernets has been posted since yesterday. Just Google the Firestone tire/Ford debacle.

Even if it is true, so what? Cleaning the sensor takes about 10 minutes tops. Clean it and move on. Cleaning a sensor is a fact of life with ANY DSLR. If you shoot with one you are going to have to learn to clean a sensor at some point or spend a lot of time and money sending it in for cleaning.

I would hate to be doing a beautiful time lapse sunset and every shot after some odd 200 be destroyed by the spots.

I do see how the few in the batch has infected the entire image of the D600. I just do not think Nikon will able to recover this image. I am worried about even buying a newer version camera for this reason. My D90 only had to be cleaned on its sensor after some odd 220k shots. What I am saying is the older D700 and such cameras seem to be better built...

I would hate to be doing a beautiful time lapse sunset and every shot after some odd 200 be destroyed by the spots.

I do see how the few in the batch has infected the entire image of the D600. I just do not think Nikon will able to recover this image. I am worried about even buying a newer version camera for this reason. My D90 only had to be cleaned on its sensor after some odd 220k shots. What I am saying is the older D700 and such cameras seem to be better built...

My impression of the problem is that it only occurred when the camera was new. The oil apparently came from the mirror hinge being over-oiled at the factory and then somehow getting onto the sensor. Once the camera has a few thousand shots on it the lubricant had dissipated enough to not be a problem.

Every manufacturer has quality-control problems from time to time. It happens and I can understand that. All I ask is that the manufacturer stand behind what they build, and it is my understanding that Nikon did that. Anyone who had the problem could take the camera to an authorized Nikon facility and have the sensor cleaned at no cost to them.

If you got 220k shots on a D90 then you did better than me since my D90 picked up dust on the sensor constantly. Personally I check my sensors every month or so, and there is ALWAYS some dust on them. It isn't a question of it being there but whether or not it affects what I shoot. I normally just remove spots of dust in post processing and move on, or occasionally clean the sensor. Tennessee is dusty and in the spring there is a lot of pollen in the air. It gets on sensors despite efforts to prevent it from happening.

In 10 years or so we will probably be lamenting on how the newer generation of cameras is nowhere near as well-built as the old D600's and D7000's were. Also a fact of life.

Could be. Seems, though, the early viral kvetching about the D7000's AF issues mostly stemmed from failure to read the book in the box. The D600's problems appear different and possibly baked-in.

My D7000 AF issues were real, had to get it serviced and then fine tune each and every lens I own to the camera to get it working as I expected it to work.

........My D90 only had to be cleaned on its sensor after some odd 220k shots. ...........

I gotta call Shenanigans on that statement.

Seriously.... 220,000 shots before it needed cleaned? Most D90s never live that long.

D7000 had oil issues as well but took a back seat eventually to the AF complaints. Just do a search on DPReview forums. How many this represents in the whole population of D7000 is anyone's guess.
Postings tend to be skewed toward the complaint side of things on the interwebs.

Mass production products there is going to be issues but IMO there far less then what some want you to believe.I love the way things get blown out of proportion on the world wide web. The D7000 I had was a dog but there is a ton of other D7000 that are not.

Last edited:

When I purchase a dollar store item I expect it to not work as well. When I purchase Nikon $1000+ it best as hell work better than my D90 and on top of that I do not have the time to redo a sunrise TimeLapse or a Model Shoot because the spots appear. Nikon is quality. Cleaning a sensor more often than my D90 says quality has dropped.

I own two of 'em... one factory new and one factory refurb. Neither has an issue.

Keep in mind, not everything you read on the innernets has been posted since yesterday. Just Google the Firestone tire/Ford debacle.

Maybe you could enlighten us on how many shutter counts each camera has. Even so can you test on each the f-stop rumor, that at a certain f-stop only the spots appear (some odd 6.3-9+)

Mass production products there is going to be issues but IMO there far less then what some want you to believe.I love the way things get blown out of proportion on the WWW.

I agree, but I do not like the fact that Quality Gear upwards of $2000 an especially that being Nikon should have these issues ever.

........My D90 only had to be cleaned on its sensor after some odd 220k shots. ...........

I gotta call Shenanigans on that statement.

Seriously.... 220,000 shots before it needed cleaned? Most D90s never live that long.

I cannot explain why it is still going strong 4 years later. Do not forget to add all the Live View Shutter Actuation's. But the D90 is worth half as less as a D600 why have these problems D600? D600 is newer better stronger but seriously.

http://www.myshuttercount.com/Query?p=b18f2f334fa9e1aa

Most reactions

New Topics

Back