Seriously Every D600? Oil Issue? Really?

I agree, but I do not like the fact that Quality Gear upwards of $2000 an especially that being Nikon should have these issues ever.

So 'expensive' gear should, by default and definition, be free of faults? Does that mean 'cheap' gear should have more issues?

I agree, but I do not like the fact that Quality Gear upwards of $2000 an especially that being Nikon should have these issues ever.

So 'expensive' gear should, by default and definition, be free of faults? Does that mean 'cheap' gear should have more issues?

Cheap gear who knows where you wish to set the price. But we pay extra money not just for perks but for performance. It goes with everything we buy in the world. Some equipment will have issues. I am trying to figure out how many exactly if just 1% have this issue. Even so, why even 1%. The reason Oil is a big deal to myself is because of TimeLapse photography. That is a huge deal when frames 700-1000 have been dusted or oil spotted. I do not believe anyone should pay for gear from Nikon Brand New. An have an issue like this. Ever.

Had it on my D7k and my D800... whoopee! I clean the sensor.. problem resolved. Only happened once or twice per body. Hardly a major issue... (although the Anti Nikon types blew it way out of proportion!) But since Nikon holds 7 out 10 of the top rated cameras... I guess they are jealous! ;)

The oil-flinging issue was indeed real. Apparently they were over-lubricating or using a new, untried lubricant that would not properly stay put. I say the issue "was real" because I believe they have gotten the issue figured out. It's not the first oil issue that's ever cropped up; there was an issue with some earlier NIkon bodies flinging oil from their shutters. Short-lived, but some people had it. I cannot recall what model that was? D3s? D3x? I dunno. One thing is for sure; the oil issue with the D600 has brought up a lot of new buyers who bought one returning it, and thus the supply of refurbished D600 bodies has always been plentiful. Today, Nikon dropped the D600 refurb price to the $1,400 range on The Nikon Store on-line outlet.

Had it on my D7k and my D800... whoopee! I clean the sensor.. problem resolved. Only happened once or twice per body. Hardly a major issue... (although the Anti Nikon types blew it way out of proportion!) But since Nikon holds 7 out 10 of the top rated cameras... I guess they are jealous! ;)

The problem is not resolved especially if I have to return to Costa Rica to reshoot a Sunrise shot that during my 2000 frame time-lapse was hit by these oil spots.

...Today, Nikon dropped the D600 refurb price to the $1,400 range on The Nikon Store on-line outlet.

Dropping the price = drop in quality?

30% Drop Also? Within its first year...

Last edited:
...Today, Nikon dropped the D600 refurb price to the $1,400 range on The Nikon Store on-line outlet.

No, same quality, but Nikon Corporation's relatively new management has been discounting the daylights out of product, trying to SELL MORE units, in an effort to become the #1 camera maker in Japan. Thom Hogan's Nikon-cenrtric website has been following Nikon's pricing/discounting tactics for the past eight months or so, off and on. Also, as he noted, the Japanese Yen has lost about 20% against the US dollar in the past XX months (not sure how many), and he mentioned a couple weeks ago that due to the difference in the exchange rate, it would definitely bring on more discounting of Nikon products during the summer here in the US. Also...worldwide there is the problem of a weakened economy in many countries, and Nikon camera inventory is pretty much in a state of surplus, so they are discounting prices, and individual camera dealers are discounting prices as well. SO far, the discounting has really helped Nikon sell a lot more cameras, in a climate where camera sales are down generally for many other makers.

Bottom line: it's a good time to BUY a new camera! It's a buyer's market, not a seller's market.

No, same quality, but Nikon Corporation's relatively new management has been discounting the daylights out of product, trying to SELL MORE units, in an effort to become the #1 camera maker in Japan....

Bottom line: it's a good time to BUY a new camera! It's a buyer's market, not a seller's market.

If only this was a good time to buy lenses also... that is a real investment. 24mm 1.4...

I use to own the d7000 with no such issues. I've now had my d600 for a week and clicked about 1000 shots with no issues. We'll see what happens if anything down the road

Could be. Seems, though, the early viral kvetching about the D7000's AF issues mostly stemmed from failure to read the book in the box. The D600's problems appear different and possibly baked-in.

My D7000 AF issues were real, had to get it serviced and then fine tune each and every lens I own to the camera to get it working as I expected it to work.

My D7000 issues were also very real. I personally know of a D600 owner with the dust/oil issues. I highly doubt all the anecdotes of people complaining about their D600/D7000 are fake.

I own the D7000 and didn't have an oil issue. However, my first D600 I purchased did have an oil issue. The oil issue really didn't bother me since it was cleaned rather quickly and easy, but I had a problem with the battery charging. I did talk to Nikon about it, and rather than sending me a new battery they sent me a new camera. When I received the new camera I had no issues with the battery or oil.

It is "a real" problem out there, but for me it wasn't worth skipping out on the camera.

I hope they keep coming in and then Nikon unloads refurbished at say around $500.00 is good and then I will jump all over one and clean the sensor as often as needed until the oil well runs dry.:lol:

I use to own the d7000 with no such issues. I've now had my d600 for a week and clicked about 1000 shots with no issues. We'll see what happens if anything down the road

Would you be willing to do a long time-lapse see what happens? Set up in a way in which would reveal these spots...

Most reactions

Back