Seriously Every D600? Oil Issue? Really?

... When I received the new camera I had no issues with the battery or oil.

Do you mind testing a few thousand shots also? See what happens...

I'm 6,208 frames into the D600 I bought in December with NO OIL OR DUST (other than the expected dust from use... zooming, focusing, changing lenses.....).

I'm 6,208 frames into the D600 I bought in December with NO OIL OR DUST (other than the expected dust from use... zooming, focusing, changing lenses.....).

Thats good to hear. Is this a new Camera refurb. or has been fixed?

As for the dust on the sensor - even so it should be a negligible amount if any - as long as you are not changing your lenses with live view on...

........ Is this a new Camera refurb. or has been fixed?

Beats me. The shutter odometer was 635 when I got it.

.....As for the dust on the sensor - even so it should be a negligible amount if any - as long as you are not changing your lenses with live view on...

It doesn't matter. If you use a DSLR, it will get dust on the sensor eventually. Not using live view and never changing lenses does not seal the camera at all. Just focusing and zooming introduces dust into the mirror chamber.

........ Is this a new Camera refurb. or has been fixed?

Beats me. The shutter odometer was 635 when I got it.

.....As for the dust on the sensor - even so it should be a negligible amount if any - as long as you are not changing your lenses with live view on...

It doesn't matter. If you use a DSLR, it will get dust on the sensor eventually. Not using live view and never changing lenses does not seal the camera at all. Just focusing and zooming introduces dust into the mirror chamber.

I just suppose my experience with dust has been in the improbable department. After 4 years I can only say I have cleaned my sensor without even finishing the number of 5 fingers on my left hand. I have used this camera well over its Shutter mark. I suppose cleaning a sensor of drippy oil is a pain. My point ultimately is that I would not want to be doing ongoing cleaning for a camera I paid well over my savings for.

I admit the problem is not a big deal, I do not have a problem with it that affects me directly. But I have been concerned solely on the Quality of the camera. This for me is a quality issue. For others its simple.

Even if it is true, so what? Cleaning the sensor takes about 10 minutes tops. Clean it and move on. Cleaning a sensor is a fact of life with ANY DSLR. If you shoot with one you are going to have to learn to clean a sensor at some point or spend a lot of time and money sending it in for cleaning.

wait so you have a d600 with an oil problem so you can speak from experience in terms of the frequency and ease of cleaning right??

apparently they don't all have the issue, but mine does and it's oily. it's not a quick clean. it's sticky and resilient. I have a copper hill cleaning kit and of the two times i've already cleaned this sensor it took multiple swabs (probably ~ 8 or so) and a lot of rechecks. and even after i get it clean it sheds right in front of me in a matter of shots, no matter how long i blasted the mirror chamber clear. there are others on this board that have reported similar issues with it quickly re shedding. Still the camera is a beast, i love it. it's a stupid nice sensor. great dynamic range, great iso noise, in a nice package, with a good sweet spot in terms of MP (imo). and most importantly it's a FF sensor so great lenses fall in really great focal lengths.

Last edited:
Compare it to a high performance car.

You could buy a Kia. It costs you less than $20k and runs. nothing spectacular, 0 - 60 in 12 seconds or so. But it gets you from A to B.

or else

You buy a Maserati Quattroporte. Goes like stink. 0 -60 in less than 6 secs, reliability is so-so in comparison to a new Kia or Hyundai.

If money was no object which would you buy if performance was your first priority? I wouldn't be buying the Kia or the Hyundai.

Just because something is more expensive doesn't mean that it is going to be more reliable. When it's at its best, it will perform much better though which is why you take the risk.

Edited to Add: Just because you have one of the top models doesn't mean it doesn't need to be kept serviced. There are services done by service agents, but you still have to check your oil levels. Much like cleaning your camera's sensor from time to time.

That reminds me - mine is stinking dirty.....

Last edited:
I just suppose my experience with dust has been in the improbable department. After 4 years I can only say I have cleaned my sensor without even finishing the number of 5 fingers on my left hand. I have used this camera well over its Shutter mark. I suppose cleaning a sensor of drippy oil is a pain. My point ultimately is that I would not want to be doing ongoing cleaning for a camera I paid well over my savings for.

I admit the problem is not a big deal, I do not have a problem with it that affects me directly. But I have been concerned solely on the Quality of the camera. This for me is a quality issue. For others its simple.

Cleaning the sensor is simply part of owning a DSLR, just like oil changes are to a car. My feeling is this: Yes, there USED to be a from-the-factory oil/dust issue with the D600. Yes, it's well documented. And there USED to be an issue. So how current (chronologically) is all the hoopla you're seeing on the innernets? By this, I mean: a year ago, everyone was ragging about it, complaining, sending them back to Nikon, exchanging them, posting threads & videos...... >>>And all that is still on the innernets!!!<<< My point is: Is all this bandabout still current? I say, 'No.' How many people are complaining TODAY?

If the slight possibility that you'll buy a D600 with an issue is such a deal-breaker, then just don't buy a new one. Buy a factory refurb, or a used one with 25,000 clicks.

Or buy a D800.

Just received my RMA# this morning to return my three week old D600. Last night I noticed it in a big way. Had it been minor, I probably would have just cleaned it up and went about my business. But, it was pretty nasty, and it's only three weeks old. I had my D200 for YEARS and never had an issues, my D70 was the same, never an issue. Now I spend more than both cameras combined and I have issues after only three weeks of light use. And I see others have as well.

I spent a few years with the Army in Iraq and Afghanistan our Nikons needed cleaning weekly with eclipse products. Not really a big deal

Most reactions

New Topics

Back