manaheim

Jedi Bunnywabbit
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Stop for a moment.

Drop your ego, let your defenses down, and think about this.

How good are you at Photography, really? How much of an artist are you?

When you look through your camera lens are you thinking about 8,000 rules, or are you thinking about emotion? Colors? Patterns? Light? What will look cool? What will stir people? What will make the viewer think?

Try to decide how much you know and why you're here. Think about this honestly. If you're one of those who is here to learn, then I would strongly encourage you to make a point to not be trying to teach others. Ask questions. Listen. Learn. If you want to express opinions, by all means do so, but for goodness sake try to say things like "I'm not that experienced, but...", "From what I understand, this may be the answer..."

People who don't know coming across like they do can cause SO much damage.

I see people with a real spark of artistry... far more natural talent than I have after YEARS of trying to beat some artistic sense into myself, and they post a picture and the first thing TPF does is tell them "It's TILTED!" or "THE WHITE BALANCE IS OFF!" or "IT'S UNDEREXPOSED!"

Really? Seriously?

There isn't exactly a right and wrong to this, guys. There are some artistic choices, and there is a CLEAR way to tell an accidental overexposure and a deliberate artistic choice. I will bet you my left arm than 99% of you couldn't tell the two apart... and if you can't, then you have absolutely no business telling anyone that what THEY chose to do was right or wrong.

Think about it.

Excuse me while I vomit.

Get off your horse. If you don't agree with someones CC, post your own. Whoever recieving it can pick and choose which CC to take seriously, just as it should be.

Gotta agree - technical perfection isn't the be-all-end-all, a lot of people here seem to believe it is though...

Excuse me while I vomit.

Get off your horse. If you don't agree with someones CC, post your own. Whoever recieving it can pick and choose which CC to take seriously, just as it should be.

Hey, welcome to TPF!

:lol: Seriously I think I rest my case.

Over, you can lock the thread now. Bossy just won the internet. :lol:

Haha. Ok seriously though.

You can't berate someone else on how they give CC. In the beginners forum, the basics *matter*. Rule of thirds, nailing exposure, having an interesting composition, color balance, all of that. The best thing you can do is give CC to the best of YOUR abilities, and if you really take issue, then start a thread on how you think is the best way to CC. Noone is going to learn anything by you coming in an posting about how everyone sucks at life and we suck the creativity out of photography.

Stop for a moment.

Drop your ego, let your defenses down, and think about this.

How good are you at Photography, really? How much of an artist are you?

When you look through your camera lens are you thinking about 8,000 rules, or are you thinking about emotion? Colors? Patterns? Light? What will look cool? What will stir people? What will make the viewer think?

Try to decide how much you know and why you're here. Think about this honestly. If you're one of those who is here to learn, then I would strongly encourage you to make a point to not be trying to teach others. Ask questions. Listen. Learn. If you want to express opinions, by all means do so, but for goodness sake try to say things like "I'm not that experienced, but...", "From what I understand, this may be the answer..."

People who don't know coming across like they do can cause SO much damage.

I see people with a real spark of artistry... far more natural talent than I have after YEARS of trying to beat some artistic sense into myself, and they post a picture and the first thing TPF does is tell them "It's TILTED!" or "THE WHITE BALANCE IS OFF!" or "IT'S UNDEREXPOSED!"

Really? Seriously?

There isn't exactly a right and wrong to this, guys. There are some artistic choices, and there is a CLEAR way to tell an accidental overexposure and a deliberate artistic choice. I will bet you my left arm than 99% of you couldn't tell the two apart... and if you can't, then you have absolutely no business telling anyone that what THEY chose to do was right or wrong.

Think about it.

I couldn't agree with you more. I see people on here defending themselves when they make a post before anyone comments on it to save their butt. The End.

...there is a CLEAR way to tell an accidental overexposure and a deliberate artistic choice. I will bet you my left arm than 99% of you couldn't tell the two apart...

And you'd probably win. Enlighten me of guru of photographich knowledge? How do I tell them apart? Of thousands of images on TPF for which I have provided critique, I can think of VERY, VERY few where incorrect exposure was deliberately used to good effect.
There is a reason that we have a term in photography called "correct exposure". Just sayin'...

and if you can't, then you have absolutely no business telling anyone that what THEY chose to do was right or wrong.
Really?

You can't berate someone else on how they give CC. In the beginners forum, the basics *matter*. Rule of thirds, nailing exposure, having an interesting composition, color balance, all of that. The best thing you can do is give CC to the best of YOUR abilities, and if you really take issue, then start a thread on how you think is the best way to CC. Noone is going to learn anything by you coming in an posting about how everyone sucks at life and we suck the creativity out of photography.

Off subject.....rule of thirds in my opinion doesn't always apply.

Or by going into other threads and degrading and insulting people in the thread when what you are talking about has absolutely NOTHING to do with what the thread is about and is in direct conflict with your opening comments in the beginning of this thread.

Of course not, there's nothing in life so black and white. But starting out, its often difficult to learn how to frame things, and rule of thirds gives you a good guideline. It also helps you realize everything in your frame. The point is to make everything in your frame count for something. Its not supposed to be "stick your subject in 1/3 of image and have empty space in the other 2/3s".

Why are beginners giving CC, though? I mean doesn't that seem just a little weird? "Hi, I just bought a camera and I have absolutely no clue what I'm doing... oh but hey that picture you took is ALL WRONG!!!"

I mean, would you cluelessly pick up a hammer for the first time and turn to a 20 year veteran architect and tell him he's a whacko for making that building entirely out of glass and steel? See what I mean?

...there is a CLEAR way to tell an accidental overexposure and a deliberate artistic choice. I will bet you my left arm than 99% of you couldn't tell the two apart...

And you'd probably win. Enlighten me of guru of photographich knowledge? How do I tell them apart? Of thousands of images on TPF for which I have provided critique, I can think of VERY, VERY few where incorrect exposure was deliberately used to good effect.
There is a reason that we have a term in photography called "correct exposure". Just sayin'...

and if you can't, then you have absolutely no business telling anyone that what THEY chose to do was right or wrong.
Really?

Yes, really... and tired... this was hardly a commentary pointed at you. You have way more clue than I.

And yes, you're right... very few cases of over/underexposure and the like around here are intentional or executed to good purpose (even if an accident)... but the ones that occasionally are, are STILL treated as if they should be "fixed". And therein lies my point.

Of course not, there's nothing in life so black and white. But starting out, its often difficult to learn how to frame things, and rule of thirds gives you a good guideline. It also helps you realize everything in your frame. The point is to make everything in your frame count for something. Its not supposed to be "stick your subject in 1/3 of image and have empty space in the other 2/3s".

See but right there... that little microcosm of a discussion on the rule of thirds is WONDERFUL, but isn't what generally happens here. Generally someone will respond and say "IT DOESNT FOLLOW THE RULE OF THIRDS- THEREFORE ITS BROKEN- FIX IT." Whereas what you are doing here is having a pretty reasonable discussion on when and where the rule of thirds might work or not, etc. THAT kind of thing is what TPF needs.

Why are beginners giving CC, though? I mean doesn't that seem just a little weird? "Hi, I just bought a camera and I have absolutely no clue what I'm doing... oh but hey that picture you took is ALL WRONG!!!"

I mean, would you cluelessly pick up a hammer for the first time and turn to a 20 year veteran architect and tell him he's a whacko for making that building entirely out of glass and steel? See what I mean?

No, you're comparing apples to cheese sticks. Beginners and experts alike learn from CCing. And there's also a difference in knowing what looks good/right, and being able to do the same thing. I can watch a video and tell you if the lighting works or not, but I couldn't tell you how they did it or the equipment they used.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back