Setting suggestion for low light action

ithinkitstheflash

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all

I am shooting tomorrow morning and anticipating low light, overcast, and rain for a triathlon, so fast moving pictures of bikes and running. I'll be using a Nikon D5000 with the standard lense config that comes with the package (18-55mm and 55 -200mm) Just wondering where I should be aiming for regarding setting as I'll need high speed but will no doubt have low light. A standard camera flash is all I have and would like to try a good maunal non-flash setting first. Any ideas for a newb? Thanks in advance.

Hi all

I am shooting tomorrow morning and anticipating low light, overcast, and rain for a triathlon, so fast moving pictures of bikes and running. I'll be using a Nikon D5000 with the standard lense config that comes with the package (18-55mm and 55 -200mm) Just wondering where I should be aiming for regarding setting as I'll need high speed but will no doubt have low light. A standard camera flash is all I have and would like to try a good maunal non-flash setting first. Any ideas for a newb? Thanks in advance.

I'm a bit of a noob but, I would try shutter priority. Set it to the highest speed you can while maintaining correct exposure. The camera will figure out the aperture. If your shutter speeds have to be low, (1/60, 1/100) you might try panning.

"Shutter priority "meh speaka no techno? Sorry for ignorance. Where/how would I do that?

ConradM said:
I'm a bit of a noob but, I would try shutter priority. Set it to the highest speed you can while maintaining correct exposure. The camera will figure out the aperture. If your shutter speeds have to be low, (1/60, 1/100) you might try panning.

Raise your ISO to at a minimum of 400, shutter priority will probably work best. Take a test shot and look at the histogram. If the histogram is mostly to the left then it's underexposed so you can use some exposure compensation - you'll have to play around with it until you have it right. You might have to raise the ISO higher if your shutter speed isn't fast enough. You don't want to Underexpose with high ISO's so keep an eye on your histogram.

"Shutter priority "meh speaka no techno? Sorry for ignorance. Where/how would I do that?

Humm, you might want to glance through your manual. It should be marked on your dial with an S... But I can't be sure.

I have tried cranking the ISO in low light and get quite a bit a noice in the photo. I'm trying to avoid that. I have shot at ISO 200 for sunny days so going towards 500 -800 makes sense. Shutter speed (I'll need to use 1/1000 plus for complete still) and no speed efect. Best apeture for this given conditions mentioned?

Set ISO 400. Shutter priority is the "S" mode on your dial. Then use the scroll button to select a shutter speed. You'll want a shutter speed just fast enough to freeze the action. If you plan on shooting low light sports in the future, you'll probably want to invest in a 70-200mm f/2.8 or similar. If you want to save some cash look for a prime lens such as a 100mm f/2.8.

Thanks guys fpr the suggestions. I would love to get a new 70 - 200mm (I've looked at the Sigma,but alas I don't have $1000) The f/2.8 would be handy agreed

Most reactions

Back