setting up a website- have some questions

AF44

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
well im looking to set up a photo website just to display some of my pictures and possibly put the for sale if anyone wants to order them... my first 2 questions are

is there any particularly good website that i should buy my domain name from?
once i buy the site, how do i turn it into a photo website with gallerys and such... do i have to pay extra for someone to set that up for me or can i do that my self?

thankss

To buy a domain name www.godaddy.com
There are ton of web hosts out there some are free some are not, I recomend if you want a professional looking site stay away from hosting that place ads on your site.
I use www.hostmonster.com
There are many photo galleries you can install on your site, knowledge in html, php would help when setting it up and managing it.
You could pay someone to do it for you.

Oh, I WHOLEHEARTEDLY suggest www.globat.com for website ANYTHING. You get a terabyte of space and a terabyte of bandwidth, plus they have a 24 hour tech support team you can contact via chat or phone whenever you want--no robots!

A 1 year package is $7.00 per month. Seriously, it's the best hosting I've ever had.

Edit:

I forgot to answer your second question! If you're not familiar with html or java, I suppose you would have to hire someone, pay a college student, etc. Doing it yourself isn't too hard, though. Especially if you buy hosting from a place like globat, they have "templates" for just about every sort of site you could possibly want, and you can edit them to your liking. Either way, the internet is FULL of code you can rip off/edit for your own use. I promise it's not hard! :)

I registered all my domains in Godaddy.com. It is not the best, but good price and nice management interface. However, during the registration process, it will try to sell you more stuff that you do not need. I always just skip all those stuff so that at the end, I only have the domain name registration in my shopping cart.

One you register your own domain name, you need to find a place to host your site. There are a lot of them out there. Price, support (24x7x265 ?), network bandwidth, uptime, space and max. bandwidth usage are some of those criteria you need to look at.

Some hosting places may include a Web hosting control panel such as cPanel. Those control panels usually help a lot in website administration. Personally, I like cPanel.

If a site have cPanel, you maybe even able install a Add-on called Coppermine (http://coppermine-gallery.net/) Coppermine is a free Photo Gallery hosting software. You do not need cPanel to run Coppermine. It just that software can be easily added with cPanel provide that the Hosting facility has that as an option.

You can go to http://coppermine-gallery.net/ and take a look at the demo and see if that is what you are looking for. And of course, this is just one of the many routes you can choose.

One thing I will advise you to watch out for is the Hosting companies that are offer 500 GB-1TB of disk space for $7-10 per month.

In my experience when you first sign up it is great, they set you up on a server that is fast and not many sites are on it. Everything is great, right……

Soon (within 6 months) you will notice your site does not load as fast and when you go to look at the server stats, you will see they are over loaded. And as for your massive amount of disk space, why would you want that much. Websites should be a living thing and are constantly being updated. You should never use your website as an archive for all your work.

Go to the library and check out some books on web design and good practices. Try to keep your site to the smallest footprint possible without sacrificing quality. Use good and smart design practices and you will never need over 1GB of space and even that is a lot.

I register domains through godaddy.com and I use Bluehost.com for my hosting. I've been using them for several years and they've been great. Their generous with their space and bandwidth and other features for a pretty reasonable price. But most importantly, they've been around for a long time (since 1996).

I blended Zenphoto and Wordpress to create my website. But Zenphoto is great on its own. It's simple but really nice looking and free. I'd definitely recommend it.

Last edited:
I used gkg.net for my domain managing. I host servel website and they work for me maintaining it all. For hosting I go with hostgator. I've been through many hosting company's over the years and they seem the best for me. As far as gallerys go I like what you can do in google's picasa. I've trired others but the templates are great for me there. You can check out my galley see if you like something like that. There are many gallery templates on the web for picasa. My site is http://www.buckybanks.com

you will never need over 1GB of space and even that is a lot.

Agree totally. My website, while not professionally designed, is, I think reasonably effective, bearing in mind that the main goal is NOT sales, but rather as place to which I can refer those who wish to see my work. The whole thing (and there is a lot of "behind the scenes stuff" right now) eats up less than 200Mb.

If you have very limited knowledge oh HTML or javascript maybe it would be a good idea to setup a blogger account and host it in the host service you want if you don't want to have the .blogspot in your URL.

Posting using Blogger is just as easy as posting on this site.

Most reactions

Back