settings for new D7K

As far as AF mode I most always shoot in single-point single-servo (S), but that's because I most always shoot things that aren't moving much. In applicable situations I will switch to a dynamic area continuous-servo mode or even 3D; it just depends on what I think will get me the best results. I never use the auto-servo mode (I don't trust it).

Before I had my D7000, I had a D70, and before that I had a Canon G3. All of them have picture control modes. I have never used them on any of those cameras. Shoot in RAW and make those creative decisions once you get them transferred to your PC.

ill try to be more specific. i mean the picture control settings like standard, landscape, portrait, ,etc. each one has in depth settings. and im pretty sure everyone knows what AF is. im asking whats ur favorite mode, A, S, C, theres different point selections etc

Shoot RAW

Picture style settings won't have any effect on RAW shots themselves, at least directly.
However they are applied to the in-camera JPEGs which are generate for each RAW shot taken - thus keeping them to neutral/0 standards is important as that gives you the best histogram (which is based off the JPEG made in camera and attached to the RAW) representation possible. If you push settings, such as contrast, then the histograms will reflect that and that can give you false info on the proper light that you have captured.
In addition several software options will read in-camera JPEG settings and apply them to RAWs as a default setting starting point - however RAWs themselves will always remain adjustable.

Most that shoot events such as weddings are using RAW - it allows for the best possible adjustments later in editing and also allows a slightly greater leeway with over exposure (not massive, but a little more then JPEG) which is invaluable (big - white - dress!). Furthermore you don't need the speed of JPEG processing because you won't be delivering prints on the day - so you've time to edit and perfect.

Most reactions

Back