Settings for Wakeboarding Pics

mtyler24

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey,

I need some help with taking wakeboarding pics. Overall I'm so confused with the settings and the best shooting mode to use. I can't seem to get my focus right and how do I prevent blowouts with the water? I have a Nikon D70 with an older Tameron lens 70-300 lowest f/stop 4.

As far as settings, I've been using auto b/c I can't figure out where I want my aparture and shutter speed. I want a faster shutter speed, and a lower apature? What would be the best mode to start learning and fine tuning my pics. And to prevent blowouts?

For focusing, I was told to zoom all the way in and focus on the person, then switch it to manual instead of AF. The rope stays at a constant length and I don't need to refocus on the person. Is this correct?

We have a big event this weekend and I'd like to get some good pics w/o messing up. Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Shoot shutter priority

-Select the fastest speed the allows proper exposure

-BUY A CIRCULAR POLARIZER

-Rotate the polarizer until the water glare is reduced/gone

-Your zoom will be mostly tight because you will want close ups so select the shutter speed with the zoom extended

-Focus manually with your rangefinder if the servo is not working well

-If you got cash buy the 2nd generation VR lens to help with your boat vibration...

Thanks for the quick response. I may post some pics later tonight here or in the critique area. I think the focusing issue is me, but I would like a newer lens (next Christmas present). I haven't tried the method I mentioned above, I was focusing at the distance that I take the picture at, not zoomed all the way in. So all would be out of focus, but I will try again this weekend.

You may think focus is your problem... but most likely it is not..... your problem is mostly dealing with camera shake...

these are the factors

-the boat you are standing in is vibrating like mad
-your hands are shaking while holding the camera
-your lens is fully extended that exagerates this movement
-if the shutter opens and closes too slow it records this motion as blur
-you may think the shot is out of focus

your autofocus servo should work fine in this situation.... your subject is moving relatively slow due to the distance between the boat and the boarder.... forget about focus....

the polarizer is a must so don't forget this.....it just screws on to the end of your lens...

play around with shutter priority and have fun.... if you can't control the shake you may want to shoot wider and crop the images....

Well I hate to tell you this but you are gonna mess up, alot and that is why we have a delete button. This is also the beauty of digital you can bring tons and tons of memory for a fairly low price and have millions of images to choose from.

Well I hate to tell you this but you are gonna mess up, alot and that is why we have a delete button. This is also the beauty of digital you can bring tons and tons of memory for a fairly low price and have millions of images to choose from.

yes.... use your burst shooting mode and keep your finger on the trigger... there will be some good shots inbetween all the bad ones.....

Thanks again, I've done some research on the circular polarizer and am really liking the effects it gives. I'm concerned about the overall dullness and blowing out the water, and I think the filter will help. The only reason I bring up my focusing is because when my boyfriend takes pictures his are more in focus than mine. If his can come out, then mine should too. I do use continous mode that is really helpful, and there are plenty I need to delete. But I'm trying to get the color and focus on(that's where I mean messing up). Here's some examples of what I'm talking about: (I don't know if this should be in the beginners section any more - Maybe general critique)

F/8
1/1000
130mm

Picture321.jpg

f/11
1/700
78mm I cropped this one

Picture317.jpg

f/7.1
1/800
130mm

Picture320.jpg

You can see the settings don't seem right - these were actually shutter priorty mode. Maybe I just need practice - but any suggestions would be great.

Thanks again for all the help.

my only complaint is the inability to see the face. You might have done this on purpose for identity reasons.

Other than that I'd say these shots are pretty successful.

Might even be cool to have the boarder frozen and everything around him blurred...kinda like he's ripping through the wake concept. Why is it that everyone has so many more photo ops than me!!!

My week is so lame I can mainly take pictures of my dog at dog parks.

your buddies camera may have a stabilzation/vibration reduction built into his lens or the body of the camera.... looks like you are doing an okay job freezing motion.... the polarizer will cut down the glare and richup the colours...

don't forget you can sharpen the image using software.... you don't seem like a heavy pro so download picasa2 (free by google) and use the sharpen effect... try it on these.. you'll be amazed...

Oops forgot to sharpen for web. These are SOOC. No I'm not a pro or anywhere near, lol. These are not any pics I'm proud of, but I need to show the bad to get better. I didn't really want to show the face too much - feels weird not asking someone. I prefer portraits, but I'm pretty much on the boat every weekend so I want to get better.

dearieader: He was using my camera, so focus is all me. I do want the VR lens, I should have gotten that for x-mas last year, but I got CS3 and a SB600(would a flash help any - it may be a dumb question). Didn't edit these pics, b/c I'm not exactly proud of them(they do look snapshotish - thinking if I get my settings right it'll look better). I need to work on the basics. I do notice the subject is dark, is the position of the sun, my settings?

asfixiate: I love the idea of the blurred water, I found one online that looked awesome. I'll have to do some major research and practice on how to achieve that correctly. I want to shoot people, but don't really know who. So I'll hopefully get better at this.

I know the composition isn't the best, just an example for lighting, etc. The suggestions so far have been really helpful. I know I need to read up more, but I'm trying to cram in suggestions for this weekend - there will be a competition and I want the pics to look good.

Oops forgot to sharpen for web. These are SOOC. No I'm not a pro or anywhere near, lol. These are not any pics I'm proud of, but I need to show the bad to get better. I didn't really want to show the face too much - feels weird not asking someone. I prefer portraits, but I'm pretty much on the boat every weekend so I want to get better.

dearieader: He was using my camera, so focus is all me. I do want the VR lens, I should have gotten that for x-mas last year, but I got CS3 and a SB600(would a flash help any - it may be a dumb question). Didn't edit these pics, b/c I'm not exactly proud of them(they do look snapshotish - thinking if I get my settings right it'll look better). I need to work on the basics. I do notice the subject is dark, is the position of the sun, my settings?

asfixiate: I love the idea of the blurred water, I found one online that looked awesome. I'll have to do some major research and practice on how to achieve that correctly. I want to shoot people, but don't really know who. So I'll hopefully get better at this.

I know the composition isn't the best, just an example for lighting, etc. The suggestions so far have been really helpful. I know I need to read up more, but I'm trying to cram in suggestions for this weekend - there will be a competition and I want the pics to look good.

well that settles it.... if ur friend uses your camera and blows you away... then you suck:lmao:...kidding.... is he using autofocus? ... maybe he is using a better technique to reduce camera shake (ie arms tucked in etc)... good news is if he can make the pictures look good using your gear than you don't need any new gear!!!

your subject is dark as you noted... maybe when you get the polarizer you can spot meter off his face and lock the exposure....?:confused:

Most reactions

Back