Several questions involving a portfolio.

kylesfreelance

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi I have many questions about my portfolio I need honest questions so I don;t get myself in hot water.
  1. Is it fine to email small local bands and ask permission to photograph there concert.
  2. Is it fine to email small local bands about offering a 2 hour free photo shoot for my portfolio and do I have to say its for my portfolio.
  3. Any legal issues with offering free photo shoots for my portfolio.
  4. Main focus of my portfolio currently is music any advice.
  5. Thanks.

Hi I have many questions about my portfolio I need honest questions so I don't get myself in hot water
1. Is it fine to email small local bands and ask permission to photograph their concert?Yes. But it's more up to the venue in most instances.
2. Is it fine to email small local bands about offering a 2 hour free photo shoot for my portfolio, and do I have to say it's for my portfolio?
Yes it's fine to email them regarding that offer. No you don't have to say it's for your portfolio, but why wouldn't you?
3. Any legal issues with offering free photo shoots for my portfolio?
Not that I can think of, but I am not a lawyer.
4. Main focus of my portfolio currently is music any advice?
You seem to have a good idea going so far.

What you'll need to do if you want to shoot concerts in dimly lit areas is get more than kit glass to shoot with. f/3.5 at 18mm is very limiting. f/5.6 at 55mm is even more limiting.

Also, when emailing people, you should use question marks when asking a question. As well as the proper form of "their/there/they're." Present yourself in a professional light, even if you're not a professional. People will be much more receptive. It helps on forums too. I added some corrections in bold.

Currently tyler the camera I am getting has a standard 18-55 lens on it atm. What upgrades are in store.

I'll be happy to answer the specific questions you asked rather than give you a lecture on how to shoot.

Is it fine to email small local bands and ask permission to photograph there concert.
Yes.
Is it fine to email small local bands about offering a 2 hour free photo shoot for my portfolio and do I have to say its for my portfolio.
Yes*. No, but you need them to sign off that you have pernission to do with them what you want. They may want you to be specific, i.e. portfolio (self promotion) only. I would charge them something so you have some credibility. I would bill them fair market value then deduct your one-time intro discount from that amount. That way they and others understand your value for future work.
Any legal issues with offering free photo shoots for my portfolio.
If you have a signed agreement, I don't see any. I am not a lawyer.
Main focus of my portfolio currently is music any advice.
Show range.
You're welcome, good luck and post pics here.

Currently tyler the camera I am getting has a standard 18-55 lens on it atm. What upgrades are in store.

You'll want something with a faster aperture and length if the need calls for it. I'd be looking at a fast prime in the 50-85mm range. I'm just assuming the last sentence was a question.

Where do you live and what kind of venues are you going to?

It sounds like you are no where near a place in your photography that you are ready to start charging people and dealing with contracts and all that. If you are allowed into the venue with your camera, then, legally speaking you can take all the photos you want and use them for your portfolio. If you really want to develop a music portfolio, email some bands and tell them you like their music and want to take some pictures during the show. Be honest about where you are in your photography, don't ask to be let in for free, and tell them you'll share a couple of photos with them later (or if you're not sure any of them are going to be any good, just email them a couple after the show and thank them). Stay away from large bands and large venues for now, that is likely going to be more hassle than it is worth.

A kit lens is certainly going to make concert photography more difficult than a top of the line lens, but it won't make it impossible. Don't waste time while you're trying to save up money for a fancy new lens to solve all your problems. Get out there and shoot. You'll probably learn some neat tricks to deal with a big aperture.

Depends on venue up close in the back is rare.

Get to the show early enough that you aren't in the back.

You can do what ever you want. There is nothing stopping you from offering free photos to anyone, but they will be expecting some good pictures. If you're not equipped with the right gear, or have the basic skills to shoot in small venue light conditions, which are usually dark, then you may be disappointed with the results, and so will the band. If you believe that you can do it, then by all means send e-mails to everyone and see how many return them. Take it from there.

Nothing is really free as long as you have to get to the concert, you are paying all your own expenses. If you do enough free, you still end up paying one way or the other.

Most reactions

Back