Severe calibration issues. HELP!! Long post, sorry.

get a better monitor to edit on. you can connect it to the laptop and see if theres a difference between what you see on the monitor and what you see on the laptop.
you can get IPS monitors under $300 now.
Hi Pixmedic,
Thanks for your reply,

Any specific brand, size, resolution you recommend

get a better monitor to edit on. you can connect it to the laptop and see if theres a difference between what you see on the monitor and what you see on the laptop.
Hi Pixmedic,
Thanks for your reply,

considering how long people have been editing on monitors, I think pretty much any modern monitor is fine.
I have a BENQ IPS monitor. dont remember the specs now. i remember reading something about refresh rates and
this one was decent. with a colormumki display calibrator it seems to be just fine. paid <300 for it a few years ago.

Hi Pixmedic,
Thanks for your reply,

considering how long people have been editing on monitors, I think pretty much any modern monitor is fine.
I have a BENQ IPS monitor. dont remember the specs now. i remember reading something about refresh rates and
this one was decent. with a colormumki display calibrator it seems to be just fine. paid <300 for it a few years ago.
Thank you very much, I'll look into it. Is it worthwhile getting a 4k monitor?

Hi Pixmedic,
Thanks for your reply,

Unless u are going to watch 4k movies on it I would say no

Hi Pixmedic,
Thanks for your reply,

Unless u are going to watch 4k movies on it I would say no
I do drone photography and videography as well in 4k, may be worthwhile then.

Nope, I've been using it for 2 1/2 years, but I've always sent my portraits in to be printed with color correction, and therefore never realized I had such an issue.

Had a lot of problems with the switch to Windows 10 myself. 1st thing I'd do is run a new calibration then make sure you know what that file name is!

Then check that the ICC profile used by Windows for your monitor is correct. This is screen shot of my settings for the monitor. The highlighted line is my custom profile, and is in the default position.
2.JPG

This is a good explanation of how to check and change Using ICC Profiles in Windows - PC Monitors

If you are using LR you need to make sure it's using the right color profile.
To install a color profile, copy it to c:\\Windows\system32\spool\drivers\color. Then restart LR.

I've also struggled with PS. What I used was this. Open PS, Go To Edit > Color Settings. These are the settings I used.

1.JPG

When you save an image use export and be sure that the convert to sRGB box is checked.

Nope, I've been using it for 2 1/2 years, but I've always sent my portraits in to be printed with color correction, and therefore never realized I had such an issue.

Had a lot of problems with the switch to Windows 10 myself. 1st thing I'd do is run a new calibration then make sure you know what that file name is!

Then check that the ICC profile used by Windows for your monitor is correct. This is screen shot of my settings for the monitor. The highlighted line is my custom profile, and is in the default position.
View attachment 127395

This is a good explanation of how to check and change Using ICC Profiles in Windows - PC Monitors

If you are using LR you need to make sure it's using the right color profile.
To install a color profile, copy it to c:\\Windows\system32\spool\drivers\color. Then restart LR.

I've also struggled with PS. What I used was this. Open PS, Go To Edit > Color Settings. These are the settings I used.

View attachment 127393

When you save an image use export and be sure that the convert to sRGB box is checked.
Thanks for the settings info. This is basically what I did with each of the aforementined companies. I tried your settings just to see what the images would look like, but it didn't work. Thanks anyway, I appreciate the time and effort.

I tried your settings just to see what the images would look like, but it didn't work.

Out of curiosity - did you reboot the computer after making the changes, and how did you determine there was no change? I use a laptop for editing but to double check myself I send the image to my phone, tablet and a private web site. If they look pretty much the same, I'm good to go. Also, are you using LR or PS? There have been some recent updates to both. Is there any chance you have a preset or actions that's working in the background? Brightness of the monitor can also cause a shift, as can being on battery or hooked to the charger.

I tried your settings just to see what the images would look like, but it didn't work.

Out of curiosity - did you reboot the computer after making the changes, and how did you determine there was no change? I use a laptop for editing but to double check myself I send the image to my phone, tablet and a private web site. If they look pretty much the same, I'm good to go. Also, are you using LR or PS? There have been some recent updates to both. Is there any chance you have a preset or actions that's working in the background? Brightness of the monitor can also cause a shift, as can being on battery or hooked to the charger.
Hi smoke665,
I did reboot, but saw no changes in the files. I compared them to the printed image and they looked exactly like they did on the screen before, too light and less saturated than the printed image. After all the editing hadn't changed, and if the on-screen image looked like the prints, then I would have known that the profiling and color calibration had worked. Alas, that was not the case.

compared them to the printed

OK are you letting your printer manage color or letting PS do it? That could be one problem. I'd also upload a couple images to another device

compared them to the printed

OK are you letting your printer manage color or letting PS do it? That could be one problem. I'd also upload a couple images to another device
For my own prints, I was letting photoshop manage color. I was comparing to all the printed images from 2 different printing companies and my own prints. In all case the non-clour corrected prints were darker and more saturated.

Most reactions

Back